Got a grant!! So now I can afford a few things..

JLNorthGA

Got a small grant - sound equipment share should be at least $2K.

I'm going to buy some microphones - that's a given. I'm going for several SM58s to flesh out our inventory.

Should I consider getting any wireless microphones? I've nothing against them, but they are not cheap. The only people who've requested them have been a couple of the rentals. Or should I just get one or two cheap wireless?

I want something to deaden the sound reflecting from the back of the auditorium. The back wall is somewhat concave and the sound focal point is just in back of the proscenium arch. I was figuring on hanging some sound absorbing or deadening panels.

I'm seriously thinking about the DriveRack PA+ and the reference microphone. That and the cabling should run about $700.

That should basically cover me until I can afford to replace our leased equipment.

Thoughts?

$2k won't get you far for acoustics.

For PA, it won't get you very far either, but purchase what you need, and what you need and what you "need" are not synonymous.

For example, we've got lots of stuff and aren't exactly hurting, but what we need are more DI boxes, (4) Beta 58's, (4) hot spot monitors, more mic cables, more stage pin extension cables, and a good pair of headphones for FOH. The litmus test for us needing these things has been situations where we spent way too much time or money on situations where having these things would've drastically reduced the number of headaches in the room. Be it situations where someone didn't have intercom because we stole their beltpack cable for the extra mic added at the last minute, or where nobody could understand the vocals because the SM58's didn't have the isolation from ambient noise that Beta 58's do, or where we begged or borrowed for extra monitors or DI boxes.

It's not as exciting, but you'd be surprised how far a bunch of little items can go. If someone told me this week they'd give me $20k for a new console or $5k for odds and ends, I'd take the $5k because a new console just isn't what we need.

Last edited:
Mike, your points are taken.
I'll flesh out the order with some more microphone cables. I've got three DI boxes, so another wouldn't hurt. I'll think about the beta SM58s.

Got a small grant - sound equipment share should be at least $2K.

I'm going to buy some microphones - that's a given. I'm going for several SM58s to flesh out our inventory.

Should I consider getting any wireless microphones? I've nothing against them, but they are not cheap. The only people who've requested them have been a couple of the rentals. Or should I just get one or two cheap wireless?

I want something to deaden the sound reflecting from the back of the auditorium. The back wall is somewhat concave and the sound focal point is just in back of the proscenium arch. I was figuring on hanging some sound absorbing or deadening panels.

I'm seriously thinking about the DriveRack PA+ and the reference microphone. That and the cabling should run about $700.

That should basically cover me until I can afford to replace our leased equipment.

What is it that you do there? Are you mostly concerts with bands? Musical theatre? A comedy club? Your clientele will dictate what tools you need for the job. Remember, you're buying tools, not toys. If you need handheld wired vocal microphones the SM58 (not Beta) is the standard and will meet any rider (Are you concerned with rider acceptability?).

Wireless microphones... Do you need them? No, you should not buy one or two cheap wireless mics. They will break and you will regret it. I have a friend with two broken Shure PGX (bottom of the line) mics. They could have bought something that would actually hold up. Personally, I like Sennheiser ew100 series for inexpensive wireless. I'm really not a fan of the Shures until you get into UR territory.

As far as sound treatment, you're not going to get very far even with your entire budget devoted to materials. Wait until you can make a large capital purchase, maybe they're looking at renovating the space sometime in the future? If so piggyback off that project.

Why do you want a DriveRack? Do you not have a speaker processor at the moment? What is it that you are trying to accomplish? If it's just an RTA skip it. Download one of the many iPhone apps.

It's a Beta58 not Beta SM58, and the main difference is cardioid vs supercardioid, which will influence your monitors and monitor placement. From the sound of it you're not dual-monitoring vocalists, so there's little reason to go for a beta58

There's also a fairly large difference in sound between the two. I find the Beta to be even harsher than the SM (if you can imagine) in the 3.15 k area. It also has what marketing folks call a "presence bump" around 6-8k, something I find useless in a vocal mic. Go with the SM58.

There's also a fairly large difference in sound between the two. I find the Beta to be even harsher than the SM (if you can imagine) in the 3.15 k area. It also has what marketing folks call a "presence bump" around 6-8k, something I find useless in a vocal mic. Go with the SM58.

I said Beta 58, and what I meant was Beta 87C. I love these. The selling point for me was when I used one in a packed ballroom for a rock band and, if you solo'ed the SM58 on backup vocals, you heard everything else in the room mixed in with the backup vocals. If you solo'ed the Beta 87C, it was crisp, clear, and there was nothing else in my headphones but main vocals, despite the wedges being nearby, the mains being a few feet in one direction, and the drum kit being fie feet behind the vocalist.

Still, I think my point may have been blurred. Purchasing should be dictated by what you need and have found yourself substantially hindered by not having. Just because I mentioned Beta series mic's doesn't mean you should necessarily be buying those at 2.5x the price of the SM series.

I have been avidly following your posts, I really like your venue. I understand the need to buy "things" but I would suggest that if you are considering acoustic treatment, Don't do anything yet. At least find out how much it would cost to bring in a consultant. The logical person would be Brad Weber (aka museav), he is located less that 2.5 hours away from you.
As far a wireless, are there any rental sources near you.

I have been avidly following your posts, I really like your venue. I understand the need to buy "things" but I would suggest that if you are considering acoustic treatment, Don't do anything yet. At least find out how much it would cost to bring in a consultant. The logical person would be Brad Weber (aka museav), he is located less that 2.5 hours away from you.
As far a wireless, are there any rental sources near you.

When we finally get enough money for an upgrade, I'll call Brad. That's for when we want to change out the amplifiers and everything else. Right now I need nuts and bolts sort of things.

Microphones are a necessity - I've two SM58s and a bunch of Nady SP5s. The Nady SP5s are $11 microphones and sound like it. I would like a breakout snake of some sort - but that isn't a necessity.

Rental sources near me? We're in Hayesville, NC - the closest rental sources for audio equipment are at least 2 hours away (or more). I either have to go down to Atlanta Metro, over to Chattanooga, up to Knoxville or over to Asheville. Over the mountains in any direction.

What is it that you do there? Are you mostly concerts with bands? Musical theatre? A comedy club? Your clientele will dictate what tools you need for the job. Remember, you're buying tools, not toys. If you need handheld wired vocal microphones the SM58 (not Beta) is the standard and will meet any rider (Are you concerned with rider acceptability?).

Wireless microphones... Do you need them? No, you should not buy one or two cheap wireless mics. They will break and you will regret it. I have a friend with two broken Shure PGX (bottom of the line) mics. They could have bought something that would actually hold up. Personally, I like Sennheiser ew100 series for inexpensive wireless. I'm really not a fan of the Shures until you get into UR territory.

As far as sound treatment, you're not going to get very far even with your entire budget devoted to materials. Wait until you can make a large capital purchase, maybe they're looking at renovating the space sometime in the future? If so piggyback off that project.

Why do you want a DriveRack? Do you not have a speaker processor at the moment? What is it that you are trying to accomplish? If it's just an RTA skip it. Download one of the many iPhone apps.

What do we do here? Anything. This year we've had a lot of concerts, some plays, two comedians, a puppet show, two dance recitals and one or two other things. The bands run from acoustic to electric. I am a little concerned with riders - the acts that are coming into our place want (and expect) decent microphones. I've already had to get several SM57 microphones for the blue grass and acoustic acts. I want to replace our $11 SP-5 microphones with some decent ones.

I really don't see the need for wireless microphones. But some people have been asking for them (two of the rentals). Why the Sennheiser as opposed to a Shure SM58 wireless (such as the Shure SLX SM58)?

Why do we want a DriveRack? We don't have any speaker processors at all. All we have are three compressor/limiters and our Mackie 24.4 mixing board. Our sound person likes the idea of a DriveRack - he put one in his old church. I'm not sold on getting one - but the idea sounds pretty good.

Why do we want a DriveRack? We don't have any speaker processors at all. All we have are three compressor/limiters and our Mackie 24.4 mixing board. Our sound person likes the idea of a DriveRack - he put one in his old church. I'm not sold on getting one - but the idea sounds pretty good.

What exactly are you trying to do with the driverack? If you are looking to rework the system and run speakers biamped, you could just purchase a standard electronic crossover. If your trying to do room tuning and optimization, all the tuning functions of the driverack can be accomplished with a graphic eq, dbx has a few good models. Going this route will let you improve speaker processing and free up more cash for microphones ect.

SM86 is the best sounding capsule Shure has that works on stages with any noise.

I wouldn't get anything less than an EW100 or ULX-D (although the top-of-the-range Line 6 sound good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back