GrandMA 2 on PC

Hey all,

I want to ask people for their experiences using and setting up their own custom MA 2 on PC system.
We are looking for an upgrade on our control console with a budget.. and to utilize the most bang for our buck I'm open to have a portable road case built in with a PC touchscreen and a command wing. This is something I've seen in the past before with designers and programmers that have put together this type of portable system.

I personally like having an actual console with all the parts included so there's no additional accessories except for the external monitor. BUT since our budget isn't phenomenal and couldn't possibly afford an MA2 Light, then having the software run on a laptop and spend just a few 5k to 7k on a command wing just seems more feasible.

We already own a Dot 2 in one of our venues and it is just amazing to use for that space. Perfect little console for what I'm also looking for, except I really want to have the next level up to that which is great for students to move up to since they're so familiar with it. The main use we'd have for this portable system is outdoor events. Where we pull in anywhere and bust out our lights, truss and control. This should be a great way to utilize the most from the budget I get for a decent system in place. I want to hear your feedback from experiences and personal opinions.

Correct me if I'm wrong I'm all ears: Purchase the PC (Windows 7 or 10?) / purchase the Command wing PC / download the free MA2 software to install on PC / link PC to command wing and extend your universe count by getting a 4 or 8 port node. Which is how I believe it to be the setup and to make this fit into a road case that's another expense that might just equal to more than 7k or 8k??

You have probably seen the unit that Squeek Lights is using, perhaps @soundlight or @Pie4Weebl will chime in with how that is working out. The case they are using is designed to hold a rack mount computer (1 rack space industrial computer).
Here is the pricing for that case from St. Louis Case:
https://www.stlcase.net/shop
Then there is the MA3 due out this summer.

These are great cases built for the application I'm looking for. What is your take on the MA3 coming out later this year? I have seen the website where they show the MA3 on PC wing with motorized faders which is a game changer. I'd rather wait until then to upgrade for either the Compact XT model or go with the PC system.

I'd wait for the MA3. Not worth buying in to MA2 at this point. The Compact & Compact XT are still pricey enough to make an onPC system worth it, but the new onPC system is great. You have motorized faders - as you mentioned - as well as the X-Keys on the console (even though there are 4 fewer of them) - which is huge for both playbacks & programming. The 5 dual-wheel encoders are great as well. All around a better onPC system. You could get STL Case to make you up a very similar case - for one or two monitors - when you get the MA3 onPC wing. What would really be slick is if you can add the MA3 Extension (15 fader section) to the onPC wing, that would make an onPC system even more attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back