Design Grease Lighting Design

NikolasR

Hello,

I am doing lighting for our high school's Grease play. I am a student there and I have been doing lighting there for 3 years (started in 7th grade). I am very familiar with our console the ETC Element. We have fresnels in the front row (above the audience), and on the stage beams mostly PARs and floods. None of them are LED, but we are working on upgrading to an LED setup. I was wondering what your suggestions are for gelling what lights what color for the play Grease.

(12 lights in front over audience, fresnels)
(about 20 above the stage all together, 6 from the sides coming into the middle)

Sorry if this is the wrong section, first post on this forum.

The question may be a bit too wide and too generic.
It depends on what scenes you are looking for help on. Each scene would call for its own setup. Usually, you would work this from the other way around and make a list of the equipment needed for each scene, then see what's available in inventory, and finally if renting any equipment is an option. There is no one "generic" plot. Much of "Grease" involves the basics of lighting a large group of people on the stage with very little color. The smaller "mood scenes" involving one or two people is where you can get creative. And, of course, there are a few "fantasy" scenes which should be fun.

Reactions: Van
The question may be a bit too wide and too generic.
It depends on what scenes you are looking for help on. Each scene would call for its own setup. Usually, you would work this from the other way around and make a list of the equipment needed for each scene, then see what's available in inventory, and finally if renting any equipment is an option. There is no one "generic" plot. Much of "Grease" involves the basics of lighting a large group of people on the stage with very little color. The smaller "mood scenes" involving one or two people is where you can get creative. And, of course, there are a few "fantasy" scenes which should be fun.

That makes sense, I watched some videos and got a much better idea of grease. I will see if I can upload a picture of our lighting vector chart and inventory. Renting is probably out of the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back