Conventional Fixtures Halogen Multi-Coloured Down-lights

jbman

Hi, awhile back me and other lighting students were tidying up the gel room at TAFE, I took some off-cuts that were chucked. I was going to put them on my Halogen down-lights in my room. Someone said you can get multicoloured ones, but the only fit small halogen desk lamps, does suck thing exist for halogen down-light lamps? (possibly (MR16 type)

A random site found via a Google search for "colored MR16":

proxy.php

Colored MR 16 Halogen Bulbs

The gel should work too though, just make sure these is enough stand off room between the lamp and the gel so as it doesnt burn out.

As an alternative, Acclaim Lighting offers the Color Ray MR which contains four 3w Rebel diodes, one each red, green, blue and amber. Drawing only 5 watts and needing no gel, the lamp will pay for itself over time.

Acclaim Lighting

Juno makes colored lenses for use on MR-16 fixtures.

Otherwise, forget what brand, but there was an architectural lighting company that had clips for lensed MR-16 lamps which would allow gel to clip onto the front of the lamp. When mising some, I have replaced them out of 14ga solid core wire bent into a U-Shape with the tips and rear hooked and bent to clip to the lamp. Works well without burning thru.

Easier than this, can also make a gel frame out of some heavy weght tin foil for a MR-16 lamp. Bend the tinfoil around the lamp to make a corner, but don't bend back to retain it yet. Cut that 90 degree bend down to about 1/4" high. Take an Exacto or Utility knife and scribe a circle about 1/8" radius smaller than the outside edge of the lamp for the hole. Put the gel in, put the gel frame on, place the lamp with gel and frame face down on a table and bend the tinfoil around the tip of the lamp while holding down on the lamp.. Should work great.

Beyond that, nothing wrong with taking home cutoff's or even scrap gel as long as you have permission to do so. Each time or when given it etc. Should see my gel files full of gel specific to 3 - 3.1/2" , 4.5", 6" and 8" sizes, the bulk of it was stuff about to be thrown out. Around 20 years later, they are large, full and very organized. Very useful to have and I have also heard of people's personal gel files being sold off before... worth some money if you organize and collect enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back