Hanging monitor screens in the light booth?

JLNorthGA

We have a single "desk" or counter - that is maybe 9' wide x 2' deep in the light/sound booth.
Currently the counter is shared by the light board (Element 40/250), two monitor screens, the sound board and a rack which contains the compressors, the hearing impaired system and some other odds and ends of sound equipment.

One of our volunteer light techs brought up an interesting point. Why not hang one monitor screen above the other? It would free up some counter space and give a little more room on the light/sound booth counter. The data would be easily visible and you wouldn't have to look over the screen to see the action on stage.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? I currently have one screen on one side of the Element and the other screen on the other side (in about the center of the counter). I could either put a shelf or a flat screen hanger on the wall, just above the other monitor.

Slippery slope.

tumblr_lqgs2sw0ua1qz4tz8o1_500.jpg

Personally, I prefer the screens below eye level.

Having done the "stacked" configuration before, it's not comfortable at all. Mounting the monitors so they are off the table can help with space, but one on top of the other is painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craning your head upwards continuously = no fun at all.

I'd look at some fancier mounting hardware that would let you "float" 1/both of the monitors above/around the board and adjust them to suit the operator/show. The desk footprint would be reduced to a single support pole.

Sadly I don't have the picture anymore, but when Tarzan was at the Richard Rodgers a few years back, they solved the problem of having less-than-ideal booth space not by putting the monitors above the console, but by mounting the console upside-down above the operator's head, with the monitors on the desk in front of him. If you thought having an Obsession in front of you made you feel like you were driving a spaceship, just wait until you have it hanging over your head. :)

So for those of you who run an Eos with 3 external monitors, where do you have them located? Do you stack them, are they on arms?

My friend uses arms on his Eos rig next door. Really nice, but $$$.
When I saw the image from Derek, I thought it was a photoshop joke...
I've spent a season with monitors too high above eye level; I'll NEVER do that again!

I look forward to buying some arms like those posted above myself someday.
till then I have one Visidec(sp?) stand for one Ion,
sorry bout the image size, I'll figure out reasonable sizes next time.
7016-hanging-monitor-screens-light-booth-img_4053.jpg

The other I tilt the monitors over to rest on the console & fader wing. I don't like the angle this gives, but I like it better than sitting on its stand to the side.
7017-hanging-monitor-screens-light-booth-tilted-elo.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 730
  • tilted elo.jpg
    tilted elo.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
So for those of you who run an Eos with 3 external monitors, where do you have them located? Do you stack them, are they on arms?

I always like to use 3 externals when the show will spring for it. I don't use any arms or anything fancy - the PSD goes to the left of the console, my main Live screen (Flexi Active) gets put on top of the rack for the 4ch clear-com unit above the right corner of the console, and the third monitor is another Live screen (Flexi Patched) that sits off to the right side of the console - I spend most of my time working with the first two monitors, so I'm okay with having the third off to the side. I tried stacking monitors 2 and 3 on top of eachother once, but I hated it - too many levels, and it blocked my view of the stage.

Hey u can get arms that support multiple Monitors in various configurations, including vertical stack and u can get them so they either stand on the desk or are fixed to it. just search it on the googles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back