Hard Hats, Bump Caps, and Helmets

CrazyTechie

So I'm looking into getting myself a hard hat...again...but there's one problem...I don't know where to look other than the local hardware store (i.e. Lowes, Home Depot) but they only seem to have yellow and white hats that I'm not a fan of the design of.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find hard hats in many colors that would be good to wear on stage. I'm not sure of what the standards for hard hats are so I'm gonna need some help with that as well. Thanks in advance!

Grainger Industrial Supply

In general, there are two types of hard hats.

Type I is designed to protect from blows to the top of the head. Direct falling objects only. Type II is designed to protect from both blows to the top and blows from angles/to the sides. These type of hard hats are lined with a dense foam material and cost significantly more money. Either type I'd also get a chin strap for it, you want it to stay on your head after all!

These types are divided into three classes, G General, C Conductive, and E Electrical. If I was buying a hard hat I'd make sure it was Class E.

People such as Cirque use Petzl style climbing helmets. Generally I think it's good practice to avoid the models with ventilation slots.

There are also "bump caps", which are lightweight hardhats designed to protect only from bumps and scrapes, such as low hanging girders. They are not replacements for hard hats.

Remember, hard hats can protect from falling pins and shackles, but a 20 pound brick from 30' is still going to cause damage. There is never a replacement for care.

I bought my black hard hat from Amazon.com -- also bought the chin strap but didn't find it useful. The hard hat stays on my head just fine without needing the strap.

Generally I think it's good practice to avoid the models with ventilation slots.

Were you referring to just the Petzl hats or all hard hats in general. If you were referring to all hard hats why would you avoid them.

To everyone: I've noticed that there are a few different styles of hard hats ranging from ones with a "V" down the center to just having one or a few lines going down the center to some that are completely flat on top. What are the pros and cons of each? Is one style better than the others?

Ah that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Here are a few good sources for hard hats and other safety gear.

McMaster/Carr

Grainger

Seton

None of these are likely to be the cheapest choice out there, but all are good industrial suppliers. I generally steer clear of Seton though because of the slew of catalogs they send me after every order. I swear they've spent more money on postage for catalogs than I've ever spent with them.:rolleyes:

Look at other supply places besides big boxes. Some the supply houses, electrical and plumbing, have many colors, eagle decals and NFL teams.

A falling shackle pin, screw or nail can go right in the ventilation hole.

Just as a "for instance", a majority of people on my crew are issued the Petzl climbing helmets WITH the vents. We are overhead with shackles, small tools, marlin spikes and other similarly sharp and hard objects all the time. Never a problem with the vent holes, and are generally not a concern. "Regular" hard hats are also not allowed under SPRAT regulations, if I recall correctly.

BUT (there's always a "but"), this is rigging under Rope Access protocols so our rules that we get to follow are somewhat different than the general population. All folks underneath us are required by law to wear hard hats. Regular ol' hardhats.

Thanks for the replies everybody as well as all the information. I'm thinking of wandering over to somewhere like Industrial Supply sometime soon to see if they have anything otherwise I will be purchasing from an online retailer.

All good sources. Up here I get mine from Acklands-grainger industrial supply.

I always suggest ratchet suspension over the other kinds, allows you to set it much better to yourself along with being able to do it on the fly. Also eliminates the need for a chin strap in many situations.

Pretty much any industrial supply company that does fleet and safety will have a LARGE selection of hardhats. Different makes, designs, colours, licensed logos, etc.

One thing many people forget is that in general stickers and/or paint and/or makers will de-rate your hardhat. There are ones that are OK, but in general this is a no-no.
Seen people get nailed for that one on the job site and gave the "safety-man" a hard time (thus getting worse off).

One thing many people forget is that in general stickers and/or paint and/or makers will de-rate your hardhat. There are ones that are OK, but in general this is a no-no.

What is it about the stickers, paint and markers that is bad for the hard hats? What causes the hard hat to become de-rated?

The paint and/or stickers, if not approved for use may react with the plastic and cause the hardhat to not do it's job. I am a baseball umpire and that has been drilled into our heads to not allow teams to customize their helmets. Hardhats are the same thing. Long story short it makes them brittle.

The paint and/or stickers, if not approved for use may react with the plastic and cause the hardhat to not do it's job. I am a baseball umpire and that has been drilled into our heads to not allow teams to customize their helmets. Hardhats are the same thing. Long story short it makes them brittle.

Wow...I was going to say that as a joke but I didn't think it was true. Where do you find these anti-destructive markers?

That makes sense.

Little League actually has a list of allowable stickers. They suggest any paint to be applied by the manufacturer. I have never actually heard it applied to hardhats but the materials are very similar so I assume the properties are the same.

Better to be safe than sorry though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back