hello and inquiry on casters

jlst

hello from cooold Ohio! Getting ready to start up another semester and wondering if anyone has had success making homemade "turtle" caster plates - basically a quiet zero throw rotation caster plate that uses 3 or 4 casters on one "lazy susan" or ball bearing assembly. Or anyone tried Teflon and pivot bolt? Looking for a low cost solution to the $250 or more triway swivel caster. I've got a few ideas, just not sure where to find parts or if this may be more trouble than its worth...

Welcome to the Booth Jlist! The New member board is for introducing yourself and is not read by many members. I moved your post to the scenery forum where more of our members will read it. I can't help with your question but I bet someone (Oh VAN) will have an idea.

Yes you can make your own BUT the big challenge is the upper swing bearing. In the long run I think it is safer and smarter to use a manufactured triple swivel. They are engineered to handle specific loads and will last a long time so that you really do get value for your money. If the homemade version fails you can have a dangerous fiasco on your hands.

I've said it before: Never be hesitant to spend money to buy the best caster you can possibly afford. They're likely to outlast anything else in your theatre. Darnell-Rose (product: Stagemaster) and Colson are two quality brands that come to mind. Typing "casters" into CB's search box yields some useful threads.

jlst, you probably know this, but Mutual Hardware does offer a "swivel plate only" option.
proxy.php

Triway Swivel (Turtle) Caster / HD Stem, #4760-XD, Triway Swivel & #180 Series / Casters & Triway Swivels / Home - Mutual Hardware

Also, Center Line Studios has a nice selection. No idea of pricing.

Last edited:
I have built my own before. It is not worth it. We found the proper bearing to use as the center pivot through McMaster-Carr. After you buy 3 casters, buy the center pivot, buy the plate steel, cut/machine it... you save about 30 bucks. The product you get in the end is not as clean as just buying zero-throw casters.

Keep in mind, BMI and the rest of the theatrical suppliers that sell these casters can make them up whichever way you want. Give them a call and talk to them a bit before you go making your own.

Also, what is your intended purpose for these?

Go to bmi http://www.bmisupply.com

They have dropped prices greatly over the past year or so on the zero throw casters these prices are straight from their current online catologe

300 lbs. Capacity - 4” overall height, 4-3/4” clearance radius, hard rubber wheels ................$121.00
300 lbs. Capacity - 4” overall height, 4-3/4” clearance radius, neoprene wheels ................... 121.00
800 lbs. Capacity - 4-3/16” overall height, 5-1/2” clearance radius, neoprene wheels ........... 167.00
1100 lbs. Capacity - 4-3/16” overall height, 5-1/2” clearance radius, hard rubber wheels ..... 183.00

I don't think you could make them any cheaper by the time you factor in parts/materials and labor.

hello from cooold Ohio! Getting ready to start up another semester and wondering if anyone has had success making homemade "turtle" caster plates - basically a quiet zero throw rotation caster plate that uses 3 or 4 casters on one "lazy susan" or ball bearing assembly. Or anyone tried Teflon and pivot bolt? Looking for a low cost solution to the $250 or more triway swivel caster. I've got a few ideas, just not sure where to find parts or if this may be more trouble than its worth...

I've made my own before, but I have found something better. Caster companies are now starting to make some "double ball bearing" casters, basicaly a lazy susan built ontop of each caster. It is the same concept of a zero throw, and much cheaper and easier to install.

Service Caster Series 20 - Light/Medium Duty Casters

I bought these for our new Nutcracker set, without the brake option for only around $5 each. I now only buy double ball bearing casters.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back