Hello

Hello, L-86 questions

Hello all,

I made several attempts to introduce myself on the "New Members" board, but the text box would never appear. So,... I'll give a brief rundown here, since I imagine this is where I'll spend most of my time here.

No formal lighting training!! In my early twenties, I spent two years volunteering (well 20 bucks a weekend/plus beer the second year) with a Lighting Designer, doing the local club circuit, with a band. That was followed by working with two of our cities stage lighting providers on various events, along with quite a few projects with various local theatre companies in both Lighting Design and ive Audio Reinforcement.

A baby on the way and a nagging woman finally caused me to give it all up completely, and I focused on a more mainstream electrical career. I am currently an IBEW journeyman wireman.

The kids are grown, the woman gone :)..... and I wanna light up some musicians again!!

I recently ran across what may (or not be) a good deal on some dimmers, and would like some feedback.

I am being offered two ETC L86 C48 install racks, 75-125 2.4kw dimmer packs, along with the control modules for well under $1000. (Was looking for a 48 channel 1.2, which is already more than what I will really need in both power and dimmer count requirements). I will be going to inspect the equipment this week.

That many dimmers, offering me that much headroom, at that cost...well, I gotta see about figuring a way to use em.

The install racks are fairly small, so I can see having them outfitted on casters/floor dolly, and a friend of mine can make a professionaly looking I/O panel, and of course I can safely wire in the cam locs, stage pins, breakers, soco,.....and for much less than what the touring racks go for. Thinkin about wiring one for single phase (if I can find the ?EM24? modules that allow singlephase operation) and having one wired three phase.

So what do you all think about these L86 dimmers?? How noisy is that rack gonna be sitting upstage, in the corner, behind the band, in a club venue?? I can run a seperate power line to it easily in most venues, to keep it seperated from the audio equip, reducing line noise I hope,....but what about the actual dimmers??

And what are your all thoughts on these L86 dimmers over all.

Thanks,
JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back