HELP! PA system is being weird!

My pa system is emitting a sound close to that of walkie-talkies.
If the gain is set at unity then the sound is fine, its just too quiet. we crank up the gain and it sounds like walkie-talkies. We're using a Mackie MkII mixer, ive never had this issue before. I can't tell you much else about the gear but its all pretty low grade crap in a school. all the connections are tight and correct. HEEEELP!

My pa system is emitting a sound close to that of walkie-talkies.
If the gain is set at unity then the sound is fine, its just too quiet. we crank up the gain and it sounds like walkie-talkies. We're using a Mackie MkII mixer, ive never had this issue before. I can't tell you much else about the gear but its all pretty low grade crap in a school. all the connections are tight and correct. HEEEELP!

I had a Mackie that picked up a local radio station through the XLR inputs. My suggestion would be to try one input at a time to see if you can isolate the noise in one channel. I wasn't so lucky...

The gain of what? I'm assuming you're plugging in a microphone, right? Troubleshooting 101: start at the source and eliminate variables until you have found the problem. Change microphones. Change cables. Different channels. Multiple outputs? Walkie talkies make lots of noises; is it static? Beeping? Someone talking?

at what point in the signal chain are you turning up the gain? what speakers are you using, is it possible that all you sound is coming only via the horns/high end speakers? so that a woofer is blown, or for some reason the low end of your signal is turned down?

Sharyn

Had a problem like that once, it turned out that what was meant to be 2 sends of wedges were linked together. On 2 amp sends. Bad news for sure.

Food for thought anyhow.

It may be obvious, but check you haven't plugged a mic into a line input or vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back