Design Help w/design/control of 7 foot LED cube

Kaleb

Hello all, Thanks all you guys- you're a great resource to a newb here. My goal is to have an 7 foot cube with every edge (12 seven foot sections) of the cube lined with LED strips that I can program to do what I want with fine pixel control. I'd like to be able to create chases which I can control (speed, direction, color, turns etc) and have sound responsive effects as well. I want everything to be DMX controllable. I'm a newb to software but will definitely learn whatever's the best solution for my needs. Because it's 12 seven foot sections of pixel addressable LEDs it seems it will require multiple DMX universes to control. After talking to a guy at environmentallights.com he built a proposal costing $3,000 using Madrix software and the Madrix Nebula Pixel Controller. I'm willing to pay if this is the best, most reliable and user friendly solution but it also seems like it might be alot to spend for the functionality I require. Any of you guys have any opinions about the validity of this solution and/or suggestions on superior options? As a complete newb I'm trying to decide which software/hardware to go with but I want to assure I'm using a great solution before spending the time/money. Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Depends on what version of Madrix you are going to get. I have it for some LED strips but I am stuck in 2.14g because they stopped making drivers for the hardware I have. Software support is from the company isn't the greatest, as it is a German based company. Answers are very curt and not very helpful.

Aside from that, Is he going to build this for you or just sell you the parts? If the later just take his proposal and price check everything. If he is going to be building it than that is a fair price.

There are a bunch of pixel tapes out there. A few years ago I used some from Elation that was low res, probably 40 mil or so, it has a simple power supply you plug it into and set the first pixel address, and wire in DMX. We had cubes of video wall and the tape filled in the corners where the frames met and there were "missing pixels". We covered it with a smoked gray diffusion, like the color of those dark "sunglasses" headlight covers people put on their cars, for some reason. The gray blended it into the front of the LED wall, where white was too easy to see when the pixels were off.

Here is a link. I don't remember if this was the same product, this is probably a newer generation. http://www.elationlighting.com/flex-pixel-wp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back