Help with Elation DP-640B

ecpn

I got called in on a church gig. They have an old but working Leviton NRD 8000 pack, and they got a donation of 2 used Elation DP 640B packs. I plugged in one of the new units and came out of the old pack (with 3 pin) and into the first new Elation pack, just to try it. The old pack has dip switches to make that pack channels 1 thru 8, and they have been working fine for years. But I can't get this new pack (either of them) to control any lighting. I thought it would be simple...I programmed the first switch (the DMX address) for the new pack at 9 (since the first pack is 1 thru 8), and then the 6 individual channels as 1 through 6. Should I have addressed those "new" 6 channels as 9 through 14? Was I right in addressing the new pack as 9? TIA.

If this is your NRD 8000, you missed the word "Micro-plex", next to the in/out jacks, which is NOT DMX. Unfortunately you might have fried the DMX chips in the Elation dimmer packs.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, this is the existing unit. With only 8 channels working on this unit, I might be better off eliminating this old one and wiring in new edison outlets and installing the 2 elations. That will give 12 channels...assumin g that they still work. I think I have an old control console around. This is a small church social hall lighting setup. If the lights go on and are dimmable, they're happy.

It's possible that the DMX input is unharmed. Many use RS-485 receiver chips that are fine with those voltages.

Yes, this is the existing unit. With only 8 channels working on this unit, I might be better off eliminating this old one and wiring in new edison outlets and installing the 2 elations. That will give 12 channels...assumin g that they still work. I think I have an old control console around. This is a small church social hall lighting setup. If the lights go on and are dimmable, they're happy.
Curious as to what the existing console is and what the old console is. Remember the NRD 8000 has only Microplex in/out and the Elation's have only DMX in/out and they are not compatible with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back