Help with lost lumens!

pasjTECH

I'd like to get some lighting design ideas to help solve a problem. Essentially, we have swapped some old PARs out for S4 Ellipsoidals and moved the position of the electric about 15ft farther back from the stage. Since we are trying to recreate the front wash we had with the old PARs we had to soften the new ellipsoidal beams by running the barrels and used R116 to do so. But now because of the R116 and increased distance from the stage we are getting less lumens in the wash. Does anyone have an idea to soften the beams and keep the original lumen percentage?

The R116 Tough White Diffusion is your problem--it's about the densest diffusion there is. I'm surprised no one has complained about the extraneous spill light on the walls, ceiling, seats, proscenium, everywhere but on the stage. Resolve yourself to the fact that ERS s are going to look different than the the PAR s did, simply due to the nature of light emitted. Most people who use frost will focus the ellipsoidal to a hard edge, then add either R114, R119, R132, or R140 (in order of soft to hard, and also of amount of intensity lost).

The R116 Tough White Diffusion is your problem--it's about the densest diffusion there is. I'm surprised no one has complained about the extraneous spill light on the walls, ceiling, seats, proscenium, everywhere but on the stage. Resolve yourself to the fact that ERS s are going to look different than the the PAR s did, simply due to the nature of light emitted. Most people who use frost will focus the ellipsoidal to a hard edge, then add either R114, R119, R132, or R140 (in order of soft to hard, and also of amount of intensity lost).

Hi, thanks for your response! Yes I totally agree with you normally I would focus R119 to a hard edge, but in this instance we are not worried about spill at all. I think I might end up trying out the R114 as you suggested to see if that helps.

R116 is eating over 30% of your output. I like 132 for Lekos. It has about 90% transmittance. Also, if your S4's are new, be sure to bench focus the lamps.

How far away from the stage are you? You moved 15' back? You may also want to investigate switching to 26*'s, or even 19'*s if you have Medium flood PARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back