High School Help with Special Ed

Hello Friends. I've been teaching Stagecraft for a while and just started teaching at a new school. I have found out after a week and a half that one of my students is a special ed. kid. He's very nice and quiet, but I'm concerned with his comprehension of safety procedures etc. I've spoken with his case manager who is also just getting to know him, but apparently he reads/writes at a 1st-2nd grade level etc.

I feel like he would just fade into the background and be safe, but I'd like to be inclusive in any way I can. I'd like to get some ideas on what others have done to get kids involved and make it a rich experience for everyone while maintaining a safe environment.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

With having a son who is on the autistic spectrum (classified as high functioning), we had to learn that you have to try different ways of explanation (it will be different for everyone) as well as being aware of signs of him feeling lost (withdrawing into his own world). So, most likely you will have to have more visual explanations of safety precautions, but you will need to be careful because there will be a fine line of him learning and freaking out. I would find out where his interest lies and focus on those specific areas of theater. You may find that he will be an amazing painter, or have an aptitude for prop building. He may end up being extremely talented at sound design or lighting design since he will likely be more tuned to one of his senses.

I am glad that he is looking into theater. This is one part of education that may be much more accepting than many other areas he may be exposed to.

I second what Ruin said and would add that his educational assistant need to read his IP and his Behavioral Assesment and let you know what potential triggers might be. Many Folks on the Autistic spectrum have adverse reactions to loud sounds and or bright lights, sometimes it's being touched. These things can set off fits of rage, flight/fleeing reactions, uncontrolable vocalizations etc. While I highly doubt they would allow a studentwho had demonstrated extreme behavioral outbursts into a class like Stagecraft, you can't discount the push for 'Mainstreaming at all costs'.
You probably already know this but not everybody does; Just because they are rated at reading on a 1-2 second grade level doesn't mean an Austistic student might not posess a Genius level IQ < or even an average one for that matter>. My Wife has just received a Masters in Special Ed and it has been a really interesting time learning with her about the autism spectrum. Just like any kid, as soon as you think you have them figured out they'll surprise you.

I know that my school requires us to read the full files of kids with extra needs. This is the confidential stuff so we get the doctor reports and all the stuff on learning strategies so that, in theory we are prepared for them. Also ask other teachers for their experiences to get a feel before you have the kid and adjust once you see what they are capable of in that setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back