HELP with Strand Palette laptop

Alright, so my PM at a new job (which I haven't officially started yet) informs me they are purchasing the Strand Pallett lap top version to use on tour but have no idea how it works or connects to the board. I have no access to it until long after I need to have my lx riders out to the venues so they want me to find out how it connects to the dimmers in venues and other specs (ie does it work with other consoles/dimmers like ETC and are there any limitations like the horizon system which is limited to one universe). I DO NOT have time to look this up, seriously I am working 70 hour weeks plus prepping for 2 festivals, 2 small tours and a large show I am both designing and stage managing. so if you guys could help me out I would be eternally grateful!!

A couple of thoughts. Tech support can always guide you through things like this. 800.4.STRAND for that.

Next...the PaletteOS works on a laptop exactly as it does on a console. The difference, of course, is using keyboard shortcuts instead of pressing dedicated keys. (Keyboard shortcuts can be found in the Help menu...just search in the index for "keyboard shortcuts". Mouse and graphical operation is the same as on the desks.

As far as outputs go, the laptop will communicate over ethernet and the software can output ShowNet, Pathport, KiNet, E1.31 (ACN Lite) and ArtNet. Some folks travel with ShowNet nodes and convert to DMX when they tour. I don't know if you have nodes or not.

This likely didn't answer all of your questions but hopefully some of them.

I second the thought of calling Strand directly. From my experiences with computer based systems, I would recommend getting a 2 output Pathport node and a small POE network switch to power it. This will convert the signal out of the computer directly to DMX512, making it MUCH easier to interface with multiple venues. Pathport products play nicely with both ETC and Strand products. You might also want to consider looking into a converter too in case the venues you will be at are still on older dimmers such as CD80's.

FYI, Horizon is not limited to a single universe. I use it all day long on a 2 universe system. I also just finished consulting on a project that uses a Pallett on a 2 universe system.

~Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back