Hex Keys

I'm wondering why this question is coming up, Since most Hex keys come in sets.

May I ask why this information is needed?

I don't know why the OP is asking, but it might be useful to know what would be good sizes to keep with you, and what were less likely to be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All of them?

I own two fold out kits made by Eklind, one in Metric the other in Imperial, and generally prefer this style for a basic tool kit.

Of course I also just bought a set from 0.050" to 3/8 of the L style keys at the Home Despot for $5.

A dedicated 5/16" T-handle hex key is useful for roto lock s.

Honestly, when one key sells for $1-2 and a whole kit sells for only a few bucks more, it's hard to buy just one key.

Found my old thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/14917-hex-keys-style-do-you-prefer.html

Last edited by a moderator:

You use some more than others.

For instance, I have a full set of t-handles in SAE from 3/32" to 1/4" and in metric from 2.5mm to 10mm. Those are handy for shop work, I don't ever take them unless I know I will need them, or I will only need one or two, they are too bulky to carry more than a few.

It also makes sense to have more/better ones in the sizes you use most, I have 3 different styles of t-handle 5/16 hex keys, one is smaller and more portable, I are longer and have different comfort handles. All three are of much higher quality than my SAE and Metric sets because they get used the most and I can't afford for them to slip or break in the middle of something. I also tend to put them in different "kits" so that I always at least have a 5/16".

Then you get into hex key jack-knives, much more portable but not as strong. Certainly good for quick repairs, but you wouldn't want one to put together a large deck. Plus they are just too short for some things. I thin my biggest is 80mm long.

The there are hex drivers that are great for assembly and okay for a t-handle substitute in most cases, but again, you don't get as much torque behind them as a t-handle. Of course usually if you need a 300mm or longer hex size it's easier to find in a driver verses a t-handle (excluding the "deck stick").

To the OP more directly: if you haven't needed them yet, may I suggest that you hold off on it until you fill out some of the more basic tools, unless you are done there. The only size I use frequently enough to always carry is, as mentioned, a 5/16" t-handle, and a decent jack-knife. Other than that, you'll know when you need something.

Last edited:
Where do you get the really big Allen keys like for tying into panels? Electrical supply? Also, where can I find a really long T handle Allen for stage decks? I've seen guys using them before; they're probably 3' long and allow you to stand up while locking in decks.

Where do you get the really big Allen keys like for tying into panels? Electrical supply? Also, where can I find a really long T handle Allen for stage decks? I've seen guys using them before; they're probably 3' long and allow you to stand up while locking in decks.

Mcmaster sells the long insulated ones. I got mine from graybar several years ago. The long tool is what's known as a deck stick. I have built several to go out on shows with large decks. BMI used to sell them. However, with some pipe and a welder they can be built quick.

...... Something involving tapatalk.......

Mcmaster has the t-handles, chads toolbox has l-wrenches and t-handles (in SAE and metric from Wiha), amazon has had them once or twice and usually has some random insulated straight hex drivers (although their selection is almost always metric).

I've only seen them at one of my local supply houses, but I've also never asked. Are you looking for specific lengths, maker, COO, or length?

Roadie tools still sells the deck stick.
http://roadietools.com/deckstick.html

Last edited:
$67.50 for a deck stick? Yikes.

Is there a "standard" hex size for tie in lugs? For some reason I'm think 5/16", but I rarely if ever do the tie in so I can't recall offhand.

And quick, without looking, what is the size needed for E1016 Cam-lok ?

Without looking I am going to guess 1/4" I haven't pulled one apart in a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back