High School Stage Collapse in Anaheim, CA, 30-40 people injured

... They have some moving lights and some EAW (?) subs in that pit. To bad they did not do the real R&R approach and use the subs to support the downstage edge...

Not to make light of the situation, but at least the subs are strapped so they don't walk... (having seen a few too many x-array walk right off the subs)

I dunno if the information has come out yet, but are the decks that collapsed original from the 1980's expansion? In looking at the photos, I can't tell if they're steel decks (the dvs one's photo, bottom left quarter, the silver and black rail of it is visible), or if they're wooden decks (same photo, one standing upstage of subs, and one caddywompus SR of subs) covered with marley?

My background is audio, not carpentry, but that photo of the mess in the pit just looks like it was a disaster waiting to happen. If it was done in house, we all know the oldest, most beat-up platforms get used as pit fillers (at least the places I've seen).

zmb- are you finding stagecraft is exempt from codes or exempt only from having to have a permit? Big difference. Many minor items are exempt from permit but still must meet the building code.

Would be interesting to learn what was original construction and what had been modified and if the modifications were done under a building permit. Our pit covers are designed to same loading as stage - 125 PSF - per code. Unless of course we plan for a lift truck or scissors or boom lift then its more with special attention to concentrated loading. Not hard to do. Same as for put lifts.

I believe its only a few jurisdictions that require annual inspections and permits, like a liquor license.

I've done 2 productions in this venue in the past 10 years. Last one was about 4 years ago. I do not work for the school, but for 2 separate outside vendors.

an updated news story

"Students set to perform on Servite High's rebuilt stage"

"Shortly after the stage collapse, Servite High and Anaheim city officials confirmed that the school failed to submit a required building permit for the stage extension, which was placed over an orchestra pit. Servite was not fined for previously failing to file a permit with Anaheim’s Planning Department, city spokeswoman Ruth Ruiz said."

Students set to perform on Servite High's rebuilt stage - The Orange County Register

Users who are viewing this thread

Back