Home for the day

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Got to work today and realized something was really wrong. Someone last night - mind you Tuesday night, gave approval to seal coat the expensive floors in the employee lunch room and washrooms.

Last year they did on a Friday night and by Monday we still smelled it, this year during the week. Main complex of four linked buildings has various garage doors or skylights and or sealed off air conditioned rooms or building. Building one - the front office has air conditioning. Building two has skylight and cross breeze of garage doors that open at least for the main part of it, the other part is very remote from in building three they did the chemicals. Building four as the main link between two and three is the hang building. It has lots of garage doors and high ceilings. My building, building three has garage doors/dock doors off to one side, lots of windows but none that open. No cross breeze but largely powerful fans I installed in my area first than installed in other areas once the air conditioning concept for the complex became less goal than reality.

Wind blower don't help in a dead air corner once chemicals are in the mix. Had my guys build the required six hoist cables for the day than sent them home. This by the time all of us were a bit loopy and with headache but the gear got tested and was safe in two hours work than out of there. Good day for them in being paid for a full day's work and getting to go home. Me I had phone calls and emails at home but got to work on the construction of our new entertainment center. This until a Wii emergency for my wife that left at mid-day and wanted to play her game. Turns out it was only a question of rotating the base stations battery as a fix but I didn't have a #0 Phillips at home and had to go back to the shop to rotate the fix and see our electronics wizzard who waved his wand over the thing and made it work in the end once the battery was re-installed.

Anyway, good day, playing furniture maker is good stuff and relaxing for me as opposed to punching square holes thru 2x2"x1/4" thick tubing for edison outlets on some display booth tubing or inspecting lamps all day. Unfortunately while the rest of the staff is being paid for their early day I'm salary and don't get bonus, much less for the first couple of hours was getting calls and e-mails every few minutes about quotes or tour support needs so I stilll had to work. None the less, got more done at home than if at work.

Unfortunate for the hoist dpt. next to mine in not getting any much more fresh air them my department got in the corner of the building without windows, they had to stay and work. Some tour needs a bunch of chain hoists load tested and ready and they are not as task orientated production line in getting it done as my guys are when given the opportunity to go home for the day. Still there when I made my Wii emergency run thru the shop to the electronics repair dpt. No free days pay for going home early. Members of the cable slinging pull department that also shares our area was still there also but they are closer to the garage doors. Leko Dept. Wifie runs... left about noon also.

On the other hand often my department as the first to leave today is at times in addition to staying with the shop late at times also the only department left in the shop so at times like this or on a Saturday work day I love to let them free early. My guys are faithful to me and I rep. for them. Less asking more telling management we are going home.

No doubt the manager that decided to treat the floors, not allow for lunch room or washroom etc. during the week to get used, this much less gee what were you thinking... got an earful from the upper management that appoved of pay for all that went home early also in still paying them for a full day.

Hopefully next year they will do the same thing, love sick days as it were in a total screw up. Sure lets seal coat the floors in the washrooms and lunch room during the week in taking at least 24 hours to dry and smelling really really bad. First the headache, than the light headedness, than the headache again while feeling loopy. Love a 3/4 day off of work given my department don't have air flow and was not safe to remain in.

Unfortunately the drawers in T&G lumber I'm working with for the entertainment center were a bit more warped than I thought in taking them out of the $0.69 bin of the home center. Watering them down constantly and clamping them now in hoping they will be un-warped soon. Unfortunate turn of the tides for the day, could have been much futher given this free day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back