Control/Dimming Horizon bug?

kicknargel

First let me fend off some of the comments I'm sure will come: I know Horizon is discontinued and unsupported. (Which surprises me a little because, while it has a learning curve, it's pretty powerful for the price.)

From time to time, if I edit a cue, when I click the final OK (I guess it's really "merge") to record it, one or a few moving lights will drop their data for one color attribute. And it seems to usually (but I'm not sure always) be the same units and the same attribute (cyan, for example). But for different shows, I've had the problem appear in different units. Maybe it's following a specific DMX address? (I've added lights so the patch is different.)

I figure it's a genuine bug, but thought I'd put out a feeler, in case it's a nifty feature I'm not seeing. It's pretty annoying when I'm editing on the fly during dress (or, you know, opening night, which is common in the dinner theatre world).

EDIT: If anyone cares, I've found a couple work-arounds. It doesn't seem to happen if you record in "changed" mode, which you can do in almost every situation. I also haven't had a problem in "selected" mode. If you have to record in "live" mode, if you select every channel before recording you'll be OK (I made a hotkey macro for this). Trouble is you've effectively created a block cue. I suppose really you'd just have to select the offending channels.

Last edited:
First let me fend off some of the comments I'm sure will come: I know Horizon is discontinued and unsupported. (Which surprises me a little because, while it has a learning curve, it's pretty powerful for the price.)

From time to time, if I edit a cue, when I click the final OK (I guess it's really "merge") to record it, one or a few moving lights will drop their data for one color attribute. And it seems to usually (but I'm not sure always) be the same units and the same attribute (cyan, for example). But for different shows, I've had the problem appear in different units. Maybe it's following a specific DMX address? (I've added lights so the patch is different.)

I figure it's a genuine bug, but thought I'd put out a feeler, in case it's a nifty feature I'm not seeing. It's pretty annoying when I'm editing on the fly during dress (or, you know, opening night, which is common in the dinner theatre world).

EDIT: If anyone cares, I've found a couple work-arounds. It doesn't seem to happen if you record in "changed" mode, which you can do in almost every situation. I also haven't had a problem in "selected" mode. If you have to record in "live" mode, if you select every channel before recording you'll be OK (I made a hotkey macro for this). Trouble is you've effectively created a block cue. I suppose really you'd just have to select the offending channels.

maybe this will help. when you click record theres a couple options u can select. one says "record minus sub" click that and the other says "include other cue lists" check that one too. when u include other cue lists it saves your selections from your palettes. hope that helps. i use horizon too. in fact i'm looking to expand my horizon system, please see my posts in the CB classifieds or e-mail me if anyone you know is selling their old gear. thank you - michael [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back