How bright is a Studio Beam?

express

Hi,
Thinking of renting a few Studio Beams for a show this summer, and was just wondering how they stand up to a S4 in terms of brightness...
Thanks,
Ben

It depends on the colors you are using, but a 575 fixture should do fine. I just got off the road with a bunch of studio color 575s and they punched through my S4's. Of course, the only way you can really know is by going to the place you are going to rent them from and doing a shoot out.

IN theory, in a one-on-one shootout and by the book the StudioBeam should be brighter. Will it punch through an entire stage wash? Don't know. There are a lot of factors involved including color, throw distance and the intensity of the wash. So it may be a question of what you want to use them for if they will be effective.

Studio Beams use a Plano Convex optical system and a 700w MSR lamp which makes them very punchy, much better than the older 575w Studio Colors.
I think you will be just fine with output compared to Source 4. They are pretty decent fixtures.

Studio Beams certainly punch. As stated, they use a 700 watt discharge lamp, so I think you'll be fine. The PC lens makes for an intense beam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back