cheap DJ things

jds10011

A local group is doing a theatre production with some scenes that are a rock concert. They would like "something" to make it look like one, since the space is only a fairly basic plot of conventionals. The current plan is a few cheap LED par-type fixtures someone has that they can just flash colors with, but they are wondering about purchasing some "DJ" type effect lights (ideally fairly low in price, of course). Can anyone give some ideas for models that are fairly bright and obnoxious that could be recommended for this application? They borrowed some LED "derby" lights but they are so dim as to be almost unnoticeable. (Obviously, I understand that usually nobody wants to recommend cheap junk, but for this application, it might be just the thing.)

Thanks!

Without more info for the scene I can't be sure, but when I think Rock Concert, I don't picture DJ effect lights. I think you're closer with your LED Pars.
What does the rest of the hang for the show look like? If you have a few washes of color already set, throw in your LED pars facing the audience, then use whatever other fixtures you can find as props. Other local theatres in your area probably have a pile of conventional pars headed for the dumpster they'd love to get rid of. An overly-bright-seeming spotlight would do wonders for the appearance, too.

Without more info for the scene I can't be sure, but when I think Rock Concert, I don't picture DJ effect lights. I think you're closer with your LED Pars.
What does the rest of the hang for the show look like? If you have a few washes of color already set, throw in your LED pars facing the audience, then use whatever other fixtures you can find as props. Other local theatres in your area probably have a pile of conventional pars headed for the dumpster they'd love to get rid of. An overly-bright-seeming spotlight would do wonders for the appearance, too.
I think they are hopeful for something with motion of some kind.

To give a more rock look on an ultra budget, try to get as much haze in the air as you can. Lean on as many par cans as you can get your hands on. Any movers, try to get things with the narrowest beam angle you can, specifically beam fixtures if at all possible. You're not trying to light the talent, you're trying to paint a picture in the air.

You're best off to beg, borrow, do favors for any local guys you have around. Look up local DJs and see if they'll rent you their rig. You're going to get a lot more, for a lot less, if you don't have to purchase it.

And to add - you don't want DJ effect lights. None of the moonflower kind of stuff. It doesn't read on a stage the size of any theatre and it's typically dim and tacky looking.

I echo cbrandt - haze, wide washes of color (maybe slowly pulsing) and super narrow beams of light (moving or not)

I'll third this. DJ lights work mrmmokay in a black box space to emulate a nightclub setting, because those spaces have similar proportions. "Concert lighting" also evolved over the decades, so emulating a concert rig of the 1970s (PAR cans; allllllll of the PAR cans) will be different than concert lighting of the early 00's (heavier on the moving lights) yet alone nowadays (heavy on video elements).

Last edited:
ACLs and haze is a classic R&R look. And cheap.

They're rather spicily priced now. I've seen places quoting around 50 pounds for them - don't know if the price stateside is just as silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back