How can I make a tree drop that changes from a dry tree to a lush one?

red996

Hi. I need to put together a drop for a Ballet in Puerto Rico. Im designing it and the director asked for the tree to be dry and dead and then chenge into life and become green and lush.

Do you guys have any suggestion on how I can pull this off?

Options
  • Use a translucent material. Paint bare trees on the front face of the drop and lush foliage on the back. Back light the drop to reveal the green leaves.
  • Paint bare trees on the drop and project leaves using leaf breakup gobos from the front.
  • Use a scrim in front of the drop. Not sure whether the scrim or the drop should be the lush tree.

Options
  • Use a translucent material. Paint bare trees on the front face of the drop and lush foliage on the back. Back light the drop to reveal the green leaves.
  • Paint bare trees on the drop and project leaves using leaf breakup gobos from the front.
  • Use a scrim in front of the drop. Not sure whether the scrim or the drop should be the lush tree.

You could probably also use some sort of UV effect, get some green UV reactive paint thats clear without UV light... Alternatively, you could project the entire image, using some large video projectors, and then you could even have the leaves growing and whatnot...

Paint the Tree brown and dead looking, add the leaves in, in green, then light the whole thing in pinikish blue light, when ready for the change hit it with white light and the green foliage will be revealed. < correct my colors there, Sparkies>

I like the idea of having a bare tree painted on the drop, and then using leave gobos for the lush tree.

I like the idea of having a bare tree painted on the drop, and then using leave gobos for the lush tree.

I've seen that done a number of times and it's always seemed a little hokey to me to fake a tree with a green foliage gobo.

I've seen that done a number of times and it's always seemed a little hokey to me to fake a tree with a green foliage gobo.

I like it in theory! I haven't seen it before. Just trying to picture it in my head.

I had to do this once. i made a real tree (not a drop) , when it came time to make it full of leaves i flew in a drop that was clear plastic painted with leaves to perfectly match over the branches of the existing tree. if i were to redo it, i would consider making the leaves physical, possibly taking fake leaves in the bunches with wire or on a EPS cutout and flying it in to cover the tree

ill try and look for pics of mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back