How do I hatch instruments in Vectorworks?

I'm sure someone smarter than me will join in on this, but from my memory if you drop the symbol onto the workspace, you can right click it, and then make changes including hatching or coloring them in.

//I read the preview title of this thread as "How do I hatch instruments" and I was REALLY curious what it was about.

You can take Weebl's advice if the fixture you're trying to hatch is a group not a symbol. Otherwise, you need to make a duplicate symbol of the fixture you want to hatch/gray out and edit the 2D properties of the copied symbol. Remember, if you edit the fixture's symbol, it will change all the fixtures associated with that symbol name.

Nik Robalino

Some symbols seem to be created using lines and not polygons, making them hard to fill or hatch when you duplicate and then 2d edit. I find it easier at times to create a new symbol using the polygon tool to trace over the old symbol (make sure you're snapping to objects and intersections).

Don't forget to check out the Polygon lasso tool ("Create polygon from outer boundary" is the technical name) which will save you a lot of time assuming all the lines create a closed figure. Also, try selecting the group of lines and "compose" them from "modify" menu.

Nik Robalino

Where is this "Create Polygon from Outer Boundary" that you speak of? I've never seen that before and help turned up nothing. I've used compose many times but never even heard of that.

If you draw a hen sitting right on top of the instrument, and you leave it there for 6 -8 weeks, as long as the temperature is maintained at a healthy 101 Degrees F, the new healthy baby instrument should hatch right on schedule......

< I'm sorry, I had to. it's like a biological imperative. I can't pass these things up.>

So if I draw a hen on top of a source 4, do I get a source4 jr?

Well, you have to wait until it hatches to know for sure, but yes. That's the idea.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back