How many lumens would you recommend?

len

I need to light a tent. Normally, I don't worry about lumens, etc., because I'm going for atmosphere. But I need to light this one for illumination, for a trade show. It needs to be fairly bright, maybe even office bright. They don't want (at least that's what they tell me) spotlights on products, they want a general tent wash. How many lumens per whatever should I be hoping to achieve? The tent is 40 x 120, and it will be on a dock in Wisconsin in March (i.e., the side walls will be closed so not much natural light coming in).

I'm figuring something along the line of a bunch of S4Par 575 medium lens or Par64 500 watt with medium lamps. Other suggestions?

Maybe you use some scoops pointed up towards the top of the tent so light can reflect down. It would seem fairly evenly distributed. (Unless the tent is black or another dark color)

Hundreds and hundreds of lightbulbs hung in a random arrangement over the ceiling. Will definitely get bright enough.

On a more serious note, I think the scoops or PARs pointed up reflecting down would probably be a good decision, 100fc sounds about right.

While thinking in lumens is admirable, I would think that the first place to start is power. What is your source of power for this tent? if you are running off a generator(s) then think about your limits to how many Source Four pars you can place around. Don't forget that they get hot so how are you placing them? up on a light tree or truss? Do you need to worry about foot traffic? Your power source and how much cable you need to run are your main limiting factors. If power is not an concern that sure, place a 575 watt Source Four par every 10 - 15 feet pointing up for an even wash reflection back down.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Freelance @ www.dulutheventlighting.com

Power, cabling, etc. no issue. I have a 20kW genny with 3 phase disconnect. And cable with get stitched into the top of the side walls for the week this will be up.

We generally put a couple of S4 PARs or scoops at each entrance a shine it on the ceiling/roof. The idea is to avoid blinding people as they come in. Run as few as possible, add as needed. As mentioned above, remember they are hot so stay away from the skin.

Hi Len,

Is it a pole or frame tent?

If it's a pole tent, I normally mount four 575w pars on each pole and bounce light. For a frame tent, start at 10' on the long wall and run a 575w par from each side on 20' intervals.

4 poles, but they have chandeliers on them. I'd rather run pars on each, too, but I don't know if it's going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back