How much fog would an Aquafogger fog...

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
Gotta question for you, my friends. I'm doing Nutcracker Ballet in a couple weeks and we're doing dry ice fog this year. About 10 minutes worth per show for a 20'x40' acting space.

Long story short, I'll have 1000-1200lbs of dry ice on-hand, though I could probably do this with 800lbs. (2 nights of rehearsal, then 5 shows across 3 days). (in case you were wondering, they ship dry ice in this volume by the 400-600lbs "bunker", and thank the heavens I'm along their distribution route and delivery is nearly free)

I can have someone on-stage shoveling dry ice into the Aquafogger 3300 we've got on rental. Question I have is, is that asking too much of one 3300 to cover that space for a 6min duration for one part of the show, and a 4min duration later in the show? Should I be trying to source a 6600 instead or a second 3300?

I know a local Nutcracker production using two 3300s for an approx. 60'x 35' stage. My guess is that you probably could get away with using just one since you are using it for a short duration. Make sure the ice is chunked up fairly fine and the water is up to its proper temperature.

One should be ok, as Mac said make sure it's broken up into really small pieces. We usually get pellets if they're available. But since yours will be sitting in a bunker for a few days blocks will be better. If you have a secure place you might even think about storing the ice outside in the cold.

With fog, your always better off going with more machines of a smaller size. I assume you want fog for Battle and for Snow... those two pieces are rather close.... I doubt your water will recover in time. Add one more machine so you don't overload your one machine now. It will also allow fog to meet in the center instead of just clumping on one side.

With that as well, once you start up an aquafogger you really can't throw more ice in as it goes. Pretty much the second you start the pump it goes. You DO NO want to be opening that thing up when running, you run the risk of throwing scalding hot water all over backstage. It is a rather violent process.

One should be ok, as Mac said make sure it's broken up into really small pieces. We usually get pellets if they're available. But since yours will be sitting in a bunker for a few days blocks will be better. If you have a secure place you might even think about storing the ice outside in the cold.

We're getting the pellets. Bunkers ship sealed and wrapped and are insulated very well. We're getting the first bunker on Wednesday and the second on Thursday. Wednesday's bunker will have ice made on Monday, and Thursday's will be fresh ice made Wednesday. Vendor told us just to not crack the second bunker open until we finished with the first one. I'm not too worried about sublimation. If anything, we'll have a surplus of ice by 150-300lbs.

With fog, your always better off going with more machines of a smaller size. I assume you want fog for Battle and for Snow... those two pieces are rather close.... I doubt your water will recover in time. Add one more machine so you don't overload your one machine now. It will also allow fog to meet in the center instead of just clumping on one side.

With that as well, once you start up an aquafogger you really can't throw more ice in as it goes. Pretty much the second you start the pump it goes. You DO NO want to be opening that thing up when running, you run the risk of throwing scalding hot water all over backstage. It is a rather violent process.

Yup. Battle and snow, and what you're telling me is about what I expected. I planned on distributing hose to avoid it looking like only one fogger but was concerned about the reheat time on the water and the time it'd take one fogger to fill the stage. Gonna start shopping for a second unit to rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back