How much should I charge for a middle school instrumental music concert?

jkowtko

What started out as parent volunteer work when the kids were in middle school, has after six years evolved into a paying sound gig. Since my kids are well out of middle school, the music teachers are very interested in keeping me there and repeatedly ask if I want more money. How much should I charge them?

The concert involves choir, orchestra and jazz band. It is conducted in their large gym with fold-out risers on one side to seat maybe 500 or so parents. Two nights of performances ~2-3 hours each night, plus the prior evening equipment setup. I also make a recording for the video guy (also a former Dad who has continued to help out and is now getting paid).

The equipment I bring in:

* 2 SRM450s on stands
* 2 Anchor AN-1000x for center fill and choir monitor
* 16 channel board (currently Mackie DL1608, possibly move to an Xrack32)
* 4 wireless handhelds for emcee mic and vocal and jazz solos
* 16 various condensor mics for area micing, percussion, piano, choir, vocal solos
* 2 snakes to tighten up the cabling a bit.

Like I said, originally I started this for fun, but after our last child left middle school the music teachers immediately asked if I would stick around to continue doing this if paid. As of now I have been charging them $400 per concert (two concerts per year), and $100 of that I give to another dad who has helped me. So my rationale was $200 for equipment rental, and $100 each for labor.

The school wants to pay me more. I told them I am happy to take more money to support my "sound junkie" habit, but I don't really want to be paid more than about half of what a full-price sound gig would charge. Keeping my price low helps the school, and also keeps the pressure low on me to provide flawless audio.

Any suggestions as to what a full-price sound gig would cost for one of these events, and what I should charge them?

Thanks. John

500/day most likely. Less then that and most places won't make it worth their while. They would offer better gear, but that is what you would probably get around here... and that includes a tech. If you went to the "good" shop in the area they won't budge for under a grand.

As far as keeping the gig low pressure for you, what if you charge whatever they end up agreeing is market rate, keep a little of that to maintain/upgrade your gear, then turn the rest into a scholarship for a music student?

Win/win!

Keep in mind that small companies and individuals often undercharge, and end up with a struggling/failing business. Pros will charge for things like trucking, and will also charge a day-rate for each show regardless of the fact that it is only a few hours. Also the overall price will account for things like prep time in the shop, insurance, overhead etc. Basically all the things needed to run a business.

So if you figure,
~$100 trucking
~$7-800 for a tech for two days
Now add gear.

I'm not saying you should charge this much, because obviously you are doing this out of good will, and also for enjoyment of your hobby. It is just to give you more of a reference. Just because Johnny's sound company, down the street, in his parents garage, will do it for $600, does not mean that is sustainable, or representative of the actual market price.

If i were doing this event, the price for the equipment listed would be around $500-$600
Plus $35 an hour for FOH Tech. If they are asking you if you want more money, then say YES! I wish some of the Schools I do events for would ask me that question!
Your kids are not in the school anymore so you really have no obligation to save them money. With that being said charge what you are comfortable with so that your not taking money out of your own pocket to do it.

Good Luck

If you charge a reasonable rate you're also helping the school with budgeting for when you're no longer around.

Keep in mind that small companies and individuals often undercharge, and end up with a struggling/failing business. Pros will charge for things like trucking, and will also charge a day-rate for each show regardless of the fact that it is only a few hours. Also the overall price will account for things like prep time in the shop, insurance, overhead etc. Basically all the things needed to run a business.

So if you figure,
~$100 trucking
~$7-800 for a tech for two days
Now add gear.

I'm not saying you should charge this much, because obviously you are doing this out of good will, and also for enjoyment of your hobby. It is just to give you more of a reference. Just because Johnny's sound company, down the street, in his parents garage, will do it for $600, does not mean that is sustainable, or representative of the actual market price.

I disagree. Charge that much, but then discount it. Show how much you would charge so that they understand what they're getting and what your time is worth, and list the discount just above the subtotal.

Clients should always get that full glimpse into what your time is worth, even when you're volunteering it or performing missionary work (work for cheap out of the kindness of your heart). This is especially important if they start bragging about you to others or someone asks who does their technical work. Then when your client says to the third party, "Ted Brigham does our work, and he's only $x,xxx," they're more likely to qualify their statement with "But we know he gives us a pretty good discount."

I disagree. Charge that much, but then discount it. Show how much you would charge so that they understand what they're getting and what your time is worth, and list the discount just above the subtotal.

Clients should always get that full glimpse into what your time is worth, even when you're volunteering it or performing missionary work (work for cheap out of the kindness of your heart). This is especially important if they start bragging about you to others or someone asks who does their technical work. Then when your client says to the third party, "Ted Brigham does our work, and he's only $x,xxx," they're more likely to qualify their statement with "But we know he gives us a pretty good discount."

Yep. I started doing that for my school/charity type gigs. I charge it at my freelance rate, then discount from that to whatever we agreed upon (generally my goal on those is to not lose money).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back