How not to build a snake.

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
I very effectively killed my Sunday morning fixing one of our mic snakes. After testing all of our cables, I figured the snake was the likely source of problems we've been having lately, including the ever difficult problem of having signals make it back to the console that had abnormally low gain and more dynamics (everything sounded very muffled and quiet). For long enough now, enough of our audio operators had reported similar symptoms including myself and I figured it was time to lure some of the deeper rooted evils of our audio system to the surface.

proxy.php

What I found when I dove into the testing was that half of the snake was bad -- at least. The orange pieces of gaff show channels that had at least one conductor that had a high-impedance air gap problem. At this point, I thought it was just that the panel-mount connectors were faulty because most of the problems were with pin 2, so I figured it was a bad batch to start with that we've been putting up with because for a lot of things -- it works well enough (except when it doesn't).

I should take a moment to point out that this problem is so awful that normal troublshooting techniques didn't work. After swapping out mic's and cables on bad channels, we were running out of ideas. Either a lot of wiring in the wall was the problem or a lot of wiring in the snake was the problem, because switching channels on the snake didn't fix crappy sounding signals (given that there were 1:2 odds of picking another broken channel, which often was 10, 11, or 12 as they were what was left after setup. therefore they were always throwing us for loops when we couldn't find any way to make some given mic's suck a little less).

When I found when I went to pull the connectors off the ends though was that a monkey had clearly done the assembly of the snake. There's no strain relief, many of the wires had been stripped too harshly so where the entire wire should have been soldered, only a few strands of the wire remained, which though soldered, eventually broke off the connection for lack of strain relief. A couple channels had ground wires in contact with other pins, and I just loved realizing that though have the snake was already broken, the other half was so close to breaking that just disassembling the connectors and jiggling the wires was enough to break whatever was left.

I very quickly went from entering the building on a day off to fix a couple cables to unearthing some of the foulest evil our audio systems have encountered and subsequently resoldering an entire snake.

Also, the snake is off-brand. The logo on the side says DSP which isn't helpful in tracking down who made it, and the connectors have no names on them either, but I'm going to recommend to the higher ups that they purchase a bag of Neutrik's so that as these begin to fail (again), I can just replace them with something that actually has built-in strain relief and will be less problematic in the future.

9 times out of 10 it's the connectors on the fan out end. The panel mounts don't move and are not subject to nearly as much wear and tear as the other end. Your post is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for." So, you fixed every channel and you're back to 100% (for now)? To replace every connector on the fan end with Neutriks will cost less than $32. I would do it immediately and submit a receipt for reimbursement. If they deny you the $32 at least your life will be easier for your minimal investment.

This morning I submitted the part numbers and prices for putting Neutriks on everything, as well as some transparent heatshrink tubing for labeling the channel numbers on each channel and some smaller heatshrink tubing for the solder connections (presently the uninsulated grounding conductors are being problematic in shorting out against other pins). It's about $35 for the (16) connectors and I think it will go a long way to keeping the snake a productive member of our inventory for years to come. The lack of strain relief is just a killer -- I can't imagine how a connector with no strain relief ever seemed liked a good design, just a high-maintenance cheap one.

I've suggested enough heatshrink and a couple assortment kits from McMaster-Carr for about $60 that will not only be useful for this application but for general cable labeling and repairs as in the future as well. So this little cluster can be swept under the rug for about $100 and several hours of my time. Knowing how the manager works, I expect no resistance in getting these purchases paid for, especially given how detrimental this will become as soon as those connectors start failing again.

The sort-of good news is that we paid nothing for this 12x4 100' snake; it was a donation a few years ago. So once we get these connectors working again, we'll have only about $50 invested in it and with connectors that have strain relief, should last for a good decade or two to come shy of a little maintenance here or there.

Actually it's not infrequent for the panel connectors to go, if and only if, the strain relief is not correctly installed. The extra weight of the stage box has a habit of putting an ungoodly degree of strain onto the cable and when that's not transferred to the sheath and the whole cable, it gets taken up by the shortest core first and once that's let the strain off, the next one goes and so on. Hence why one should cable tie internally in a stage box when constructing it, not just for neatness...

That said I have removed an XLR connector from a stage box like that (which in this case did not come factory terminated) that had only 2 contacts in it. Oops. You get what you pay for.

The logo on the side says DSP...
I think the brand you're looking at is "OSP". They sell a ton of stuff on eBay for fairly low prices. I haven't heard too many good things about the longevity of their products, though, so it's not odd for me to see this thread and have that brand as the main problem area.

If you're looking to replace, look at EWI (Audiopile.net), ProCo, Whirlwind, and/or Ramtech. You'll never go wrong with any of them, depending on your needs.

You would be correct; it's actually OSP Audio. And trust me when I say I have no intention of buying anything from them after this (not that I had before this either).

Even some of the better brand names offer 'economy' products but the reality is that theatre applications are not usually the right place to use 'economy' series products for things like snakes and stage boxes. Often this is a Value Engineering decision where somebody was trying to get things in a defined budget or reduce a budget so they make decisions that may lower the cost upfront but that have potential long term implications, so they look good for saving money and you take the blame when things stop working later.

...channels that had at least one conductor that had a high-impedance air gap problem...

A couple of small children sifting (wedding) rice over the snake head will also cause a "high-impedance air gap" problem. If fruit punch is added, the rice will expand and become a somewhat more efficient "high-impedance air gap" problem. Listen ... to the voice of experience...

Regards,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back