How to make a prop cast

kicknargel

For 42nd Street, we need to make a leg/ankle cast for Dorothy at the end (circa 1930s). I'm sure we can figure it out, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could share some hints / best practices. It's dinner theatre and I'm more in the range of quick (maybe a half day) than perfect.

For 42nd Street, we need to make a leg/ankle cast for Dorothy at the end (circa 1930s). I'm sure we can figure it out, but I just thought I'd see if anyone could share some hints / best practices. It's dinner theatre and I'm more in the range of quick (maybe a half day) than perfect.
I would use plaster bandage to cast the cast on the cast member.:mrgreen:
Then cut it in two pieces from about where the arch of the foot is up the leg on either side. You can re-assemble it on the actor with tape for performances.

I would use plaster bandage to cast the cast on the cast member.:mrgreen:
Then cut it in two pieces from about where the arch of the foot is up the leg on either side. You can re-assemble it on the actor with tape for performances.
Exactly. I would add that you should do the plaster bandages over some kind of cloth which is covering the leg; plaster heats up while it sets and it can get hot enough to burn skin sometimes.

Thanks for the advice. For the record, we ended up buying a rubber rain boot about 2 sizes too big for the actress and cutting the toe off. We stuffed it so it would hold its shape, and wrapped it in plaster bandage. Ended up with a slip-on cast that looked great.

Nice and simple. I like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back