I need scripts with challenging scenic effects!

SweetBennyFenton

Hello all! I am currently re-vamping the curriculum for the Stagecraft class I teach every other year. One large part of this class the last time (and only time) I taught it was to give students a particularly challenging effect and have them research two different ways to accomplish that effect. I have a few good scripts that clearly call for scenic effects, but I'm looking for more.

The classic example I can think of is the tree in Beckett's "Act Without Words."

What scripts have you worked with that had challenging scenic effects? I would love to collect a big stack of these eventually.

Thank you in advance.

Noises Off. Complicated show, complicated, massive, expensive set.

Scripts are $13.50 from Samuel French or $12.99 on iBooks.

Just from thinking back on how often threads show up here about it... Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors or the growing christmas tree from nutcracker. Perhaps look at Eurydice by Sara Ruhl, I've seen some really great productions and lots of variation. It calls for a slide into hell I believe, a raining elevator, and there are lots of things that are left somewhat conceptual for you to decide and make decisions on.

Last edited:
God of Carnage - one of the characters has to projectile vomit on stage

A Little Night Music - actor has to throw a knife into a picture frame

Singin' In The Rain - the rain sequence, obviously!

If you can find a New Zealand script called The Raft, it has a lot of tricksy effects in it (I did the premiere - it's virtually written as a film script not a theatre script)

There are currently two threads going about two different problems in You Can't Take It With You. So there's one.

With Eurydice, the string room I think is the biggest challenge to make it not look cheesy.

Also, Blithe Spirit is loaded with all kinds of effects that have to go off.

With Eurydice, the string room I think is the biggest challenge to make it not look cheesy.

I think ours looked pretty good, it was more of a tent shape with the tie downs held by rocks.
proxy.php

I would also add Children of Eden or Working, I'm not sure there is anything specific that is challenging in those but you have a ton of options for directions you could go with a design.

Most versions of Dracula call for some cool effects

Picasso at the Lapine Agile calls for the entire set to disappear and a star drop to be there.

If you are really feeling ambitious there's always Phantom of the Opera

Titanic the Musical...

I found it rather difficult when I had to do it. Fun challenge though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back