Ideal clearance for a wall mounted hanging position?

NROTheaDesign

I’m mounting horizontal hanging positions from the walls of a new pseudo black box. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on what distance to extend out from the wall? I’m trying to find a good balance between structural stability (positions will be 2” Schedule 40 with standard pipe fittings and 3/8” threaded rod as diagonal bracing), fire safety, and not having to side hang everything.

Primary instrumentation from these positions will be Altman 6x9s and old Par64s.

Just a reminder, I think what you want is 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe. This comes up a lot. The 1.5" has an outer diameter of not quite 2". There have also been instances of lighting positions using 1.25" Schedule 40 which has some issues. All three sizes will work for MOST c-clamps. The 1.25" and 2" don't work with many other types of clamps. Hopefully @BillConnerFASTC or one of the other consultants will check in soon with more details on ideal spacing.

I always detail 12" surface to center of pipe. There are exceptions when the surface - the wall often - is not plumb.

1.5" schd 40 is 1.90" OD FYI.

Thanks everyone. I had the exact same response as all of you when I was told they were going with a 2" pipe. I just started overseeing this project but apparently they already have a plentiful amount of pipe in stock. It wouldn't surprise me if it's actually 1.5". I'll be sure to check it against a c-clamp (and maybe bring in a few others from home for safety's sake) before I okay it to go in the air.

YMMV?
"Your Microns may Vary?"

YMMV?
"Your Microns may Vary?"
@Van @BillConnerFASTC Had a new venue built in my neighborhood a few years ago where someone spec'd the pipe for the FOH coatcheck area as 2" schedule 40 and several of us caught it prior to installation but matter not, the official steel details called for 2" schedule 40 and that's what was installed. Try as they might, they could NOT find a supplier of coat hangers to hang over the 2" schedule 40 pipe.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@Van @BillConnerFASTC Had a new venue built in my neighborhood a few years ago where someone spec'd the pipe for the FOH coatcheck area as 2" schedule 40 and several of us caught it prior to installation but matter not, the official steel details called for 2" schedule 40 and that's what was installed. Try as they might, they could NOT find a supplier of coat hangers to hang over the 2" schedule 40 pipe.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Which is another reason, when dealing with pipe and metals I prefer to use Engineering dimensions rather than Architectural. When machining and engineering there is a HUGE difference between 1.9" and 1.925" Pipe dealers and HSS dealers typically use Engineering dimensions when describing Profiles. When someone starts throwing Architectural/fractional dimensions then everybody starts doing math and things get wonky. Oh and Pipe is not Tube and Tube is not conduit.

I deal with people, not pipe and metals. A difference between designer and contractor I guess.

Also do not use standard pipe fittings. They are not designed for structural loads. You need to use something designed for the purpose, or have the position welded together by a qualified welder.

I’m mounting horizontal hanging positions from the walls of a new pseudo black box. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on what distance to extend out from the wall? I’m trying to find a good balance between structural stability, fire safety, and not having to side hang everything.

Primary instrumentation from these positions will be Altman 6x9s and old Par64s.

In many Black Boxes the outer perimeter is uses as a 'backstage' passage to move actors around out of sight of the audience. If that is your situation, then a curtain track about 30" from the wall can provide adjustable masking, then place your light batten pipe 12-18" inward from there. I prefer 18" spacing from curtains as opposed to 12" from hard walls, due to the heat from the back of incandescent fixtures. If you do install a curtain track and masking, don't forget to provide some worklight in there. A great solution is the new narrow-aperture 'RailLite' from Lumescence. If you order it in blue-only, it can cast a narrow field of run-of-show light on the floor that minimally spills out under drapes and doesn't wash the wall. Much safer and less kludgy than a bunch of clip lights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back