Incandescent bulbs are Not Banned anymore

WooferHound

1-13-2014
As part of the new budget deal announced today, Congress has voted to eliminate standards for light bulb efficiency, standards that would see incandescent bulbs phased out in favor of technologies that convert far more electricity into light.

Incandescent bulbs were unable to meet standards, so they would eventually be forced off the market in favor of LEDs and compact fluorescent bulbs. But Republicans have since soured on the bill, viewing it as an intrusion on the market and attempting to identify it with President Obama. Recent Congresses have tried many times to repeal the standards, but these have all been blocked.

However, US budgets are often used as a vehicle to get policies enacted that couldn't pass otherwise, since having an actual budget is considered too valuable to hold up over relatively minor disputes. The repeal of these standards got attached to the budget and will be passed into law with it.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014...gress-blacks-light-bulb-efficiency-standards/

It was proposed I see nothing that says it's been enacted and it's not repealing the ban they're just cutting funding to enforce it but funding may resume again

The only problem with the so called ban is consumer (and Congressional) ignorance. I can go into almost any grocery or hardware store and buy a 43 Watt halogen that is indistinguishable from a standard, 60 Watt, incandescent. So what's the big deal? The energy savings on the national scale is huge. Granted, there are some specialty lamps that will disappear with no substitute, but that happens anyway. Besides, even if the law were repealed, the chances of those deceased products and closed factories being revived is slim to none.

Reactions: zmb
The law did not effect specialty bulbs anyway.(oven, tough service, candle flicker, etc) And is kind of a moot point. People are choosing more efficient Fluorescent and LED bulbs for the energy savings anyway. The prices of LED bulbs are coming down quickly, the market and energy/money savings is driving people away from incandescent bulb faster than any law.

Not to mention LED fixtures in theater/entertainment. Still not particularly cost saving in retrofits, but in new construction LED is a no brainer, compared to the cost of copper and dimmers.

The law started the movement, after all we've had halogens for decades. It got the LED replacements kick started in a big way. Halogen A lamps have been around since the 1980s but were $5 even then.

I think the biggest problem is that most people think they have to buy bad CFLs or pricey LEDs.

Very few even know about halogens, even the ones they have been using in PARs, flashlights and worklights! Just a few days ago a HD "manager" told someone they were less efficient because they were hotter.

The "ban" never really happened. It was enacted as a law, but then funding to enforce it was blocked. The result was a nebulous void in which some stores still sell them. Most manufacturers had already discontinued manufacturing them in preparation for the law taking effect. The writing is on the wall, they are on there way out. Still, you will see them for sale here and there.

It thought it was only 60 and 100w standard bulbs and some flood and spot(par38 or common can lightes) or something. Generally the bulbs that most people I know, including myself stopped using 5 years ago.

It thought it was only 60 and 100w standard bulbs and some flood and spot(par38 or common can lightes) or something. Generally the bulbs that most people I know, including myself stopped using 5 years ago.
You are correct. Mainly; A19, A21 (40, 60, 100 watt), Par38, and a bunch of common florescents (T12 40W.) Somewhere I have the whole list. All these bans were staggered over a couple of years. Then congress killed funding for enforcement. So, they are banned but no one will arrest you for buying a black market 100 watt bulb! I would suspect as supplies dry up in the chain, they will all be gone... Unless our friends in China decide to mass-market these loophole lamps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back