The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Lighting Concept/Lighting Statement

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by derekleffew, May 6, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

When designing the lighting for anything, I've found it useful to discuss, in writing with proper syntax, spelling, and grammar, how I intend to use the four Controllable Properties (Intensity, Color, Distribution, Movement), and five Functions of Illumination (Selective Visibility, Revelation of Form, Illusion of Nature, Mood, Composition); to assist the Playwright, Director, and Actors, [and Box Office!] achieve their goals. Some would call this a "Lighting Concept" or "Lighting Statement." This is a process for lighting an Arthur Miller play, a pharmaceutical conglomerate's new product launch, a manufacturer's latest concept car, the latest mouse-created performing sensation, or the rock-star who has not had a hit in thirty years.

An old dead guy (Stanley McCandless) from Yale taught this seventy-six years ago, and another old dead guy (Howard Bay) from Brandeis refuted the Yalie's achievements in 1974. For those who suffer from insomnia, I highly recommend reading Feeling and Form, by aesthetician Suzanne K. Langer. (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1953); and attempting to define "the space that exists beyond the mirror," "virtual time," and "virtual space."

The objective(s) of man-made lighting has not changed since our first ancestor told a story to the second in front of a fire.

More wise words on "the design process":
    Unabashedly purloined from the SML:
    In response to a question about how to light a subway car for a production of Godspell, the following advice was offered:
    Wise words from one of the best lighting educators ever, the late Gilbert Hemsley:
    For a summary of the entire design process, see Lighting Design: Table of Contents, courtesy of Harvard.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010