Interactive Projection Technology

Does anyone have any experience with interactive projections? I'm having trouble finding info on-line. There are lots of videos, but that's about it.

Can you provide any more detail on what you are trying to do or accomplish?

There are various means of interacting with projected material. One of the most common is through motion capture. Essentially, through the use of a camera, when there is movement within its visual range, the computer will alter the image based on set parameters. There are quite a few people who use Microsoft Kinect for PC while others write their own programming with IR cameras.

One of the best examples of interactive technology is "techno illusionist" Marco Tempest. In some of his videos, he will do a basic explanation of how he accomplishes his magic.

I know that a lot of people have been doing this with the Kinect SDK. Maybe you can find a tutorial, but be warned: it takes a lot of time and knowledge.

Projection designers often use a program called Isadora for this, particularly in dance. It's got quite a learning curve, though.

I have done a fair amount of this sort of thing. I work with a mix of Isadora, Quartz Composer, and TouchDesigner depending on the project. Imaging is usually some combination of Kinects, high frame rate IR cameras, and high frame rate visible light cameras. I have also used thermal imaging cameras, embedded encoders in scenic elements, pressure mats, and TOF depth cameras for various projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back