Control/Dimming Pathway 8680 ultimate converter firmware help

Gage

Premium Member
Recently I came across an ultimate converter for cheap and decided to pick it up, I've had several cases where having one would have made a show much easier. After getting it I decided to see what the latest firmware offering for the device was, since the manual had an upgrade procedure. I found nothing helpful on their website, nor did I expect to with it being a discontinued product. I decided to email the support team and didn't get much further there either. They couldn't tell me what the latest released firmware revision was, if any firmware updates had ever been released, or where to find the appropriate firmware/software package. They also assumed that this was a networked device for half of the interaction and that pathport manager would update it (despite it only having communication via rs232 serial). At one point they had also thought I was trying to update a Cognito console for some unknown reason. Anyway... small rant over. I certainly enjoy the Pathway family of products and have had no problems with anything from them in the past, but this was... interesting.

Does anyone happen to know anything about this firmware situation?

Thanks,
Gage

I am sure I have encountered this interface in the past, years ago. A manual online lists version 2.5 and year 2007. I believe this to be close if not the last released firmware. I don't know where it might be found but kinda expect Pathway should have kept it. I'm not too surprised they didn't.

A manual online lists version 2.5 and year 2007.
Mine is definitely a few versions behind then. I suspect I'll be perfectly happy running the older firmware, but I would enjoy having the last release.
I don't know where it might be found but kinda expect Pathway should have kept it. I'm not too surprised they didn't.
I wasn't very surprised that it wasn't listed on their website, but at the bare minimum, I expected some help from their support team, even if it wasn't a direct download link. Honestly a "we don't have anything to help you" would have been preferable to the half-hearted attempts they gave.

The hunt continues.

oh boy... the crusty Dell latitude has been waiting to come out of retirement.

Sending a bat signal to @Rob ... He might be able to help you a bit further. I imagine that you're not missing anything with the firmware you have, but who knows!

oh boy... the crusty Dell latitude has been waiting to come out of retirement.
As mentioned above, the latest f/w was from 16 years ago. Page 9/10 of this manual describes the update procedure which is serial 9-pin RS232 transfer using a DOS command .BAT file. It also includes opening up the box while high-voltage is applied. Acuity cannot condone this method of upgrade, even if you can find a true 232 serial port and operating system that supports direct transfer.
If you don't have v2.5, what features do you think you're missing? I'm not sure there is much we can do for this VERY old and discontinued product for you now.

As mentioned above, the latest f/w was from 16 years ago. Page 9/10 of this manual describes the update procedure which is serial 9-pin RS232 transfer using a DOS command .BAT file. It also includes opening up the box while high-voltage is applied. Acuity cannot condone this method of upgrade, even if you can find a true 232 serial port and operating system that supports direct transfer.
I understand that this is not something a company would support and that you recommending me do this in any way could be considered a liability... That being said, I have everything but the .bat file to do the upgrade.
If you don't have v2.5, what features do you think you're missing? I'm not sure there is much we can do for this VERY old and discontinued product for you now.
That's the thing, I have no idea what I'm missing. I have no list of features or bug fixes any of the firmware brings. The current firmware (listed on the device as 2.c4) does work and as stated earlier I will be perfectly happy running it. This is just in the interest of getting the device fully up to date... as of 16 years ago.

I would like to reiterate... I'm not looking to get full support for a discontinued product. The .bat file is the only thing I'm searching for, everything else is in my own hands.

Thanks for providing me with info I did not yet have. I'm glad my questions about the latest firmware and update procedure were answered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back