Interesting (to me), 15A plug

techietim

Hi all,

Bought some new 15A plugs from a supplier and they arrived today. I noticed something odd that I hadn't seen before. A slot in the top where you can see the earth terminal.

Very loose speculation makes me think possibly for some kind of earth extension?
Presumably these plugs are safe to use?...

Thanks!

techietim

Nobody any ideas?...

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
Most of us are in the US, and are unfamiliar with the UK tsandards. Also, our plugs do not have fuses. Our fault protection lies with the dimmer / fuse panel. Just looking at th eplug, at first glance, it looks like an assmbly prong near your common snapped off. Are they all like that?

josh88

Remarkably Tired.
Fight Leukemia
It's an inspection hole, not the same plug, but if it's got the same hole I suspect its for the same reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_types#/media/File:BS_1363_-_early_MK_plug.jpg

"An early MK plug to original version of standard. Note the unsleeved Line & Neutral pins, and the inspection hole for the purpose of making the connection of an earth conductor visible with the cover in place (as required by BS 1363:1947 clause 15.)"

techietim