Internships/Work experience for a High School student?

Spiceboy

One of the main reasons I registered here (apart from being a tech myself)was to find useful info for my step daughter who is a theater tech Junior at High School in the SF Bay Area.

She seems to have found her calling as a Stage Manager and has been working on several productions in the area and getting good recommendations from those she has been working with and is now eager to get more experience.

With that in mind does anyone have any suggestions or advice on anywhere in the SF area that might be prepared to take on a High School student in a part time capacity (weekends, evenings and/or school holidays) in either a paid or unpaid capacity (Being a teenager she obviously prefers getting paid, as she has been for some of the work she has been doing, but sometimes the experience is worth more than the money ;)). She also has experience of Make Up, Wigs and costumes.

Any suggestions or advice most welcome

Last edited:
I hope her internship search is going well. First recomendation is to contact all the local theaters by making cold calls. I was a TD for a roadhouse where we had mostly resident non-profit theater companies use our space. At the time, I often used HS age people to do some free and some paid work. The second option is to use backstagejobs.com who has a search function by internship (last I checked anyway). Being a stage manager type, I would also suggest to her to contact your local Actors Equity and find out if they have any suggestions or opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back