Control/Dimming Issue with Chauvet Obey 40 DMX controller

H.K.Walker

Sorry if this is the wrong prefix or thread, but I'm having a bit of trouble with a Chauvet obey 40 unit and I was hoping someone here might have some insight. To preface this I'm a high school student and I have been assigned to set up lighting for an upcoming show and the lighting system on our stage consists of Six LED light bars (unsure of model) and Five (previously six but there was an issue with one so they just re-linked the other 5 together) par lights (also unsure of model) all chained together and linked to a Chauvet obey 40. The issue is that no matter what I do I cannot get the pars to come on, Fixtures 7 through 12 are addressed to the overhead light bars so I assume 1 through 6 would be the pars in question (with one of them being blank due to the sixth par being removed) but no matter what i select or change nothing works. I have tried resetting the board with no luck and the only suggestion i found online was to take down all the lights and try hooking them up individually but I am unable to do that due all of the wiring for the lights being run in the ceiling. I know this isn't a lot to work with but I would greatly appreciate any insight into this issue. Thanks in advance.

Almost anytime you are troubleshooting LEDs it is imperative to know what model light you're dealing with. That will give you the ability to find out the DMX address layout so you can understand how they work.

Im still pretty unfamiliar with lighting systems like this I just got assigned to do this because no one else wanted to mess with it, But i dug through the departments records and the light bars are "ADJ 12H"s and the pars are "ADJ 12P Hex Pearl"s. Again im sure theres not a lot yall could help with without actually seeing the system but any ideas would help.

Looking at the manuals of the controller and the Hex Pearls, assuming that they are working, you should be able to select a fixture from 1-6, and then (making sure you're on "Page A" on the controller) bring up fader number 7. That controls the dimmer of the light. Then with faders 1-6 you should be able to bring up colors. In order from faders 1-6 it should go Red, Green, Blue, White, Amber, and UV.

Some of your frustration is likely because the Obey 40 was not really aimed at the theatre/live show market, it's mostly intended for DJs and similar use. I think my old shop had 3 of them and after the first couple of uses, none of our LX operators would use them for the work we did.

Some of your frustration is likely because the Obey 40 was not really aimed at the theatre/live show market, it's mostly intended for DJs and similar use. I think my old shop had 3 of them and after the first couple of uses, none of our LX operators would use them for the work we did.
As soon as I googled the console I just shook my head. I hate using consoles designed like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back