Introducing the Apollo Apprentice Gel/Gobo Kits

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
Have you ever worked in a community or school theater in which the creative person had every good intention of using lighting and projection as tools, but wasn't quite sure were to begin? If this hasn't happened to you, consider yourself very fortunate. For those of us who often find ourselves offering tips and advice to neophytes, Apollo offers the Apprentice Gel Kit and the Gobo Tool Kit.

Apollo Design | The Apollo Apprentice Gel Kit

Apollo Design | The Apollo Gobo Tool Kit

While theater craft teachers maintain a full schedule of activities, a helpful hand can often be considered a blessing. These kits are intended to be that helpful hand, providing a collection of materials at a deep discount specifically to assist the school and small theater market.

As former Arizona State University Theater Instructor and creator of the Gel and Gobo Kits, KC Hooper states:
"Many years ago, when I first started teaching lighting design, I chose the main colors the students needed to work with because the numerous choices in the swatch books overwhelmed them. I wish I would have had something like Apollo’s new Apprentice Gel Kit to make it easier for them. Or I remember always looking through my drawer full of gobos, never able to find the common, most useful ones I needed. Apollo’s new Gobo Tool Kit would have come in handy during those times as well.

We are offering these two kits to introduce and simplify the color selection process and the use of gobos in general stage lighting to beginning students, educators in lighting programs, community theatre staff, and architectural consultants. As we consider them training tools, the kits carry suggested retail prices that provide significant savings from buying the gel and gobos individually. Seed money, if you will, toward future repeat purchases."

Last edited:
Pretty cool. The only thing I see wrong is there is not at least 9 templates of the same type to provide a full system of temps. I really like the color pack. That would be a great thing to throw onto a quick start gig at a high school or small theatre.

Pretty cool. The only thing I see wrong is there is not at least 9 templates of the same type to provide a full system of temps. I really like the color pack. That would be a great thing to throw onto a quick start gig at a high school or small theatre.

Thanks for your comments, Footer. While the Gel and Gobo kits are considered to be training aids, they certainly are not the end-all selection for the entire show. The selection is meant to allow the designer/student/teacher a chance to view a 'foliage breakup' gobo on their stage to provoke thought.

Also- don't forget that each kit has it's own Gel-focused or Gobo-focused Instructional DVD featuring the industry legend KC Hooper, our very own favorite instructor! :grin:

Last edited:
Any chance of buying the DVD's separately? I don't need the gobos or gel. However, the DVD's could be a great resource for training students with my existing inventory.

KC is awesome! I used to work with him at ASU.

What a great idea! I have worked with many high schools, and even community theatres, where they were struggling to get some decent lighting together, but had no idea where to begin. I can't see the Gobo Kit being as useful as the Gel Kit, simply because new Lighting Designers will not use a gobo unless specifically called for in the script or requested by the director, however I can already imagine a number of places which would really benefit from this.

Any chance of buying the DVD's separately? I don't need the gobos or gel. However, the DVD's could be a great resource for training students with my existing inventory.

I agree, is there any way the DVDs could be sold individually? I know of at least one high school which is literally drowning in gel and gobos, but no one there has any idea what to do with any of it, and a DVD like that to help guide them would be invaluable.

Our college events department could probably use the DVDs as well, if we could get anyone to watch them...

Kudos to you Apollo, these look like great products much better than the standard "Light Lab" Gel books.

That would've been a good idea for the community theatre I worked at this past summer. They had tons of gels but most were just dark and saturated colors that really wouldn't work with simple lighting looks. It was more like someone just picked colors they liked instead of colors that would be effective for a design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back