iPad for FOH processing

I have been doing some searching but have come up empty. Or I am not looking close enough.

I see that the iPad has apps and an interface for guitar processing.

Is there an app and interface to run your FOH effects from the iPad?

This would be good for small gigs where I take a very small rack mount mixer in for a band. Instead of hauling a bunch of outboard gear an iPad would be great.

I have looked at the Mackie DL1608, but thats not going to happen right now.

Thanks
Jeff

Well that answers that. I did a search on the Behringer but did not see any pricing. Anyone know if that will be an affordable board? Or are they put it at the price point of the Mackie?

There are a couple of apps and mixers available. I'm not a fan of giving up the speed and fine touch you get with tactile faders, BUT there are times when a more...creative...rig is called for. Presonus makes a nifty program that's free, and runs with their Studiolive mixers. I've done a few shows where the audio was not demanding, and I was out and about with my iPad. I actually think the iPad software gives better access to EQ and such than the mixer, although you'll also lose direct gain control.

There are a couple of apps and mixers available. I'm not a fan of giving up the speed and fine touch you get with tactile faders, BUT there are times when a more...creative...rig is called for. Presonus makes a nifty program that's free, and runs with their Studiolive mixers. I've done a few shows where the audio was not demanding, and I was out and about with my iPad. I actually think the iPad software gives better access to EQ and such than the mixer, although you'll also lose direct gain control.
I think you are referencing remote wireless control of a mixer while I believe they are thinking of the iPad actually processing the audio. Two very different situations.

Stay away from the Mackie. Great concept and real easy to use,but the eq's are pure dirt. I havent used any other type to compare but I really really hated it.

Been using them with ls9's/m7's for a while now never had a problem yet
It seems like you're referencing remote mixing, where the iPad is acting as a remote control for the mixer. In your situation all processing is still handled in the mixer, not the iPad, where the latency caused by the wireless connection is barely noticeable. This conversation is in regard to actually using the iPad as a processor and running a signal in and out of it.

Been using them with ls9's/m7's for a while now never had a problem yet

The iPad is simply acting as a control interface. It doesn't directly process any audio, which is what the OP was asking about. As Brad pointed out several posts above, a completely different situation.

This is the post I was replying to. He says "any". Calm down guys are theatre techs really this militant
They said "... to run any sort of live audio processing..." and because it is critical to understanding what is actually happening it is important that people understand the difference between a device that actually processes any audio signals and one that controls another device that is processing the audio signals. For example, with the LS9 and M7CL you can have wireless remote control but there is no wireless audio aspect to that, which is why if you want a talkback mic or aural monitoring you have to address the audio component separately and in addition to the wireless control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back