Irritated with rental microphones

Anonymous067

I'm in the middle of Into The Woods, showing this weekend and next weekend, and I have 21 rented microphones from the local shop. They give us a special "theatre rate" which isn't time dependent, and they give us plenty of spare capsules in case something breaks. Fine.

Here's my issue. I have 3 bandsplits of Senny 100 G3 units. They are all racked up nice and pretty in three cases, 8 A units, 8 G units, and 5 B units. Each rack has 2 (except the B band) Senny DAs inside it. For a total of 5 DAs. The 5th receiver in the B rack just has its own antennas which don't go through the DA. I have five sets of antennas.

I asked them very early on to please provide the specs for how many of each band splits they were providing so I could do a freq coordination.

I am irritated at the fact that they denied my request to add one more DA to the rig (or use Shure DAs (845s) which can handle 5 RX/a cascade) so that everything could drop down to ONE PAIR OF PADDLES. I stated my argument that I cannot put the RX on stage, it must be in the booth (cable restrictions), and that the antennas would not be able to be facing the stage in this setup, and that providing another DA, with two paddles, would significantly increase performance of the mics. What did they say? Nope, sorry. Not even, "we don't have any available" (which I also would have called BS on, because I reserved this order in November). They could have charged me. Nope. Just NO!

Tech week went fine, but last night, I was having dropout issues like CRAZY. I have the squelch set on the lowest settings, yet four of the receivers didn't once switch to the first antenna during our opening show last night, as they had no RF! I'm pissed.

!!!!!

AND furthermore, even if i call them on Monday and complain, half the shows are done! I kind of want a partial refund. If I were doing an install of 20 mics, I wouldn't use 5 pair with 1/4 wave antennas. They'd be down to one or two pairs of paddles. !!!!

Last edited:
not going to blow smoke because i'm not sure or knowledgable enough about antenna distro. but...... I'm going to anyways :)

we had a group rent a Senn rack it was EW300's i think. (10 in total) It only had 1 antenna distro (made by akg) and let me tell you, sitting 6 feet away from the rack and antenna's i had a hard time getting a stable signal. Senn specs only 6-8 rack unites per antenna distro.... maybe there is hardware to wire multiple distro's into each other so that there is only One Pair of antennas.... but I've never seen this. When we rent a Senn rack from a audio rental company that works great, we get 2 pairs of paddles for the 16 unit rack. I think for simplicity's sake he would make it one pair if it was possible.

In your situation i think it is just the way many wireless units are designed.

First of all, Senny distros are just...kinda dumb. Their failed attempt at trying to control people putting five units into them. Really? It's one more BNC connector.

Furthermore, it is more than possible to get 20 mics into two paddles. Four max. You two-tier the DAs. You split from 5 DAs into one last DA, which comes from the two main paddles.

No manufacture has a number of rx you can or cannot use in a group (as far as DAs are concerned.).

And once again, tonight I had dropout issues like crazy. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Sorry, blowing off steam, but when somebody rents this many mics, and they specifically requested paddles, YOU GIVE THEM WHAT THEY ASK FOR!

Sounds like you need a new rental house!

Each ASA1 can feed 4 receivers. The ASA1 can be daisy-chained.

We (theater) have 12 EW100G-A fed by a pair of whips (located in the wings atop the amp rack), using 3 daisy-chained ASA1. We have 4 EW100G-G fed by a second pair of whips and one ASA1. (We did this so we could expand to 24 and have only 12 on a band.) This works great (though I think we are likely helped by having very little unwanted RF in the building).

Furthermore, it is more than possible to get 20 mics into two paddles. Four max. You two-tier the DAs. You split from 5 DAs into one last DA, which comes from the two main paddles.

Provided you use wide band paddles. I'm not so knowledgeable with the sennheisers, but alot of the paddles we have for our shure systems are only good for 1 band.

And once again, tonight I had dropout issues like crazy. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Sorry, blowing off steam, but when somebody rents this many mics, and they specifically requested paddles, YOU GIVE THEM WHAT THEY ASK FOR!

If i were you I'd be ringing them up, explaining the problem and asking for the paddles. Better late than never eh? If they still don't want to help, use someone else in the future!

How a company with that attitude toward clients ever sees any repeat business is beyond me.

I doubt if paddles are going to do the trick, putting them in the booth that probably has all sorts of interference etc is going to be problematic. Get your self a snake and fine SOME place to place the units outside of the booth.

Sharyn

Paddles did the trick. I borrowed some from another venue for the night and had amazing results.

Shure doesn't make band-specific paddles. Only AT does that, to my knowledge.

They agreed to come out today and take a look at it, and possibly give me ONE paddle.

Paddles did the trick. I borrowed some from another venue for the night and had amazing results.

Shure doesn't make band-specific paddles. Only AT does that, to my knowledge.

They agreed to come out today and take a look at it, and possibly give me ONE paddle.

Most manufacturers have band specific LPDA's in addition to wideband models. Shure no longer sells NB paddles in the US, but they are still widely available in other parts of the world.

Below is a list of all the different models of the 870:
UA870A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 782-810 MHz

UA870KK . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 838-862 MHz

UA870MB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800-830 MHz

UA870MC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 774-782 MHz

UA870UB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 692-716 MHz

UA870WB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 470-900 MHz *

UA870USTV . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 470-698 MHz *

UA870X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 944-952MHz *

* Available in U.S.

YAY! rental company came through for me. Personally delivered 6 paddles, and helped me link up all the DAs. We didn't go through the hassle of linking all the DAs together, so now I have 6 paddles outside the booth. :] They were really sorry they didn't do that to begin with and said they'd put a note in the record for our venue for the future. Good thing this is my last show, with this venue. :/ Guess somebody will get lucky next season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back