Control/Dimming Is it Possible to Combine PC and Console DMX Control?

SamXp

For a church sanctuary, we've got a Lightronics TL-5024 Console controlling a Lightronics AR-1202 Architectural Dimmer as well as a few LED Wash Panels.
We have reached the TL-5024's limits and I'm considering switching to an inexpensive PC Based system that focuses on scenes rather than live slider control. The Enttec USB Pro Mk2 claims to have a DMX Input. Does this mean that I could take the DMX output from the TL-5024 and input into the Enttec USB Pro Mk2?
I can't find anything that definitively says this is possible. But it's appealing to keep the small console control for a few channels and then extend control to the PC for the rest of the stage lights.

I believe that most computer based software is capable of doing what you want. I personally use LightFactory for my software and DMXKing for my adaptor. I don't currently do any dmx input but from reading the manual and my experience with the software it should be easy. I suggest getting one of the eDMX adaptors and with a good Wi-Fi router you will be able to go anywhere in range and control your lights from the computer. I am able to do this in my theater with the wifi router 40ft back from the stage edge and 35ft up hanging on a batten and I am sitting in the middle of the house 50ft + from the stage programing on my laptop, 4 universes of rgb led pixels and very few visible issues (I hard line with fiber (I know overkill but that is another topic) for the show). With the added benefit of being able to use the LightFactory app and control from your phone or tablet, that makes trouble shooting by your self very easy.

You got me thinking with that LightFactory system that has iPad integration! Also came across Luminair 3 on the App Store with fantastic ratings.
Not sure how I follow that a WiFi DMX could be configured to a router and then a PC connect to that router? Sounds neat, but complicated? Or maybe it’s not as bad as it seems.

Using any DMX IN with PC Interfaces is hit or miss, but usually possible. There's often some configuration involved; rarely does the DMX just pass-though on an HTP basis.

To answer the question of the thread title, Is it Possible to Combine PC and Console DMX Control?
Yes. All one need is a DMX Merger,
proxy.php

such as http://www.dfd.com/221e.html . Unfortunately, with an MSRP of $1425, it's probably more costly than the Console and PC Interface together.

Oh wow, yeah, at $1425, that doesn't seem to make much sense!
It sounds like I should just try and see. I'm leaning towards the Enttec DMX Pro Mk2. Maybe just try it with FreeStyler and if it doesn't work, I might have another option...
Our Lightronics AR-1202 can use "smart remotes" like their AF2104 wall mount fader, which can give us the easy access manual control for the main lights, and then just get rid of the TL-5024 console altogether and switch to a PC Control for all the accent lighting. The AR-1202 manual seems to indicate they'll work together.

Any DMX/Ethernet gateway that follows the sACN standard should merge from multiple sources. If you're needing to merge two 5-Pin (RS485) DMX512 signals, you'll need some external hardware. Our eDIN 2-Port DMX/RDM Merger has an MSRP of under $500.

You could also use one of our 2-port Gateways. One would supply DMX to the rig and authorize CogPC for 512 channels, and the other port would accept DMX512 from any external source and merge CogPC's output to the rig. Its MSRP is just over $800.

HERE is a list of dealers with demo gear that can help you source our products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back