Is there an "easy" solution to record multitrack and video for "virtual soundcheck"?

Hi! First time poster.

I do a few theatrical plays every year, and one of the first things I do is make a multitrack recording of the full play so I can be pretty much in the ballpark when it comes to scenes/snapshots as quickly as possible if there's some cues I missed during rehearsals.
I also use a video recording of the same rehearsal sometimes.

Is there some "easy" way to "link" a video recording to the multitrack? So I can both use multitrack and video at the same time? I'd like to see where the actors' entrances and exits are while doing the programming, and check for any off-stage content etc, without having the actors on stage.

It can be a bit of a hassle/time consuming to have to play/pause/revind etc both the audio and the video separately. What I'm interested in is basically if I rewind the audio, I also rewind the video.

I use a PC and only have access to "home video"-camera.

The solution I'm after sounds quite expensive, but I have to ask if someone has some sort of solution, or a completely different solution which would achieve somewhat the same in the end (me programming the desk with both video and audio present).

What are you using for your multitrack? I believe ProTools has limited video playback, but it might be enough for what you're doing with it.

What are you using for your multitrack? I believe ProTools has limited video playback, but it might be enough for what you're doing with it.

I'm using Nuendo Live 2. But I feel PT would be too expensive for me. It's so much more than what I need, except for the video.

Last edited:
I don't know if maybe the DAW part might be too lightweight and limited for your use, but GarageBand has some video sync capabilities as well...and is about as cheap as you can get if you have a Mac.

I don't know if maybe the DAW part might be too lightweight and limited for your use, but GarageBand has some video sync capabilities as well...and is about as cheap as you can get if you have a Mac.

Thanks. I don't have a mac, but it's available for PC too. For the audio I guess all I need is just to be able to multritrack record, and add markers. And the software needs to have keyboard hotkeys, as I use a streamdeck for record, play, stop, pause, nudge fwd and backwards, add marker, skip to next marker etc. I'll sniff around Garageband, unless someone says that it's a dead end from what I described.

But with video "sync", you mean I can import a video, and if the video has audio in it, it can sync with the recorded multitrack audio? Even though the multitracks are pre fader so Garageband will also "hear" what's not audible in the video, as the video is obviously a post fader mix of the show?

Edit: I got a bogus google-hit when googled "garageband PC". I see that it's an Apple software only, so it's a dead end.

Last edited:
Adobe elements premiere is what I used to sync video and audio from separate sources. It’s a one time purchase if you get 14 or 15. Don’t do the CC that’s a monthly sub and isn’t worth it.

Drop them in line them up and see if it syncs if not drag the audio left or right. Then render it to your favorite file preference and whala. Of course you don’t have to render it and just leave it in adobe to play back and save you and your computer the extra time.

I think Reaper has a video component to it, although I've never used it. I've only used it as a DAW. It's free for non-commercial use, and really affordable otherwise. Might be worth a look.

Doesn't your "home video" recorder also record sound? It's not clear to me why you are wrestling with two different sources. And wouldn't you find the missing cues during your cue-to-cue rehearsal during tech week? (Or is that just something my theater does?).
That being said, if your recorder can do sound, there are several programs that would allow you to 'slide' back and forth the playback of the file. Of course, Cue Player can do it, as can VideoReDo, VLC, and the various versions of Adobe editors.

Doesn't your "home video" recorder also record sound? It's not clear to me why you are wrestling with two different sources. And wouldn't you find the missing cues during your cue-to-cue rehearsal during tech week? (Or is that just something my theater does?).
That being said, if your recorder can do sound, there are several programs that would allow you to 'slide' back and forth the playback of the file. Of course, Cue Player can do it, as can VideoReDo, VLC, and the various versions of Adobe editors.

Yes it does record sound from a mic or external input. But I want it multitracked. It's because when everybody goes home I'm sitting with the multitrack and program a lot and can listen to the show through the PA or cans at the same time (even though I'm missing the natural acoustic voices ofc). If there's a bunch of actors on stage and not everybody has a line in that scene, I find it quicker to see which channel strips lits up and pull up that fader and write it down, instead of trying to indentify who the hell is speaking now if it's a really crowded stage or off-stage voices.

Cue to cue-rehearsal? Never heard of. I just tag along for whatever scenes are up for rehearsal at each day, and then they run the whole show maybe a few times a week, but this is later in rehearsals closer to opening show. Those scene-rehearsals are pretty much almost useless for me when it comes to cues, since they just do one scene, stop all the time, stand around and talk and "feel" a little bit, then after lunch it's maybe a completely other scene from another place in the script. I can do the cues within those scenes, but it's so little work done comparing to the time spent watching the rehearsals. So I really only have the run-throughs to program the flow of my snapshots,. I wouldn't have time or hands to program my inserts, thresholds, panning and what not and also getting tight cues just by watching the run-throughs live. And I would'nt be able to do that with a stereo-recording.

Sorry for the over-explaining. It's a habit I need to get rid of :D

Last edited:
I think Reaper has a video component to it, although I've never used it. I've only used it as a DAW. It's free for non-commercial use, and really affordable otherwise. Might be worth a look.

I don't believe it has video "capture", I did look at it last night. But I guess it must be possible to import a video, and maybe just manually sync it to the audio. Then it would do what I want. I'll look into it some more.

This is gold Jerry!

Downloaded and tried. This should work perfectly. I can't seem to get DVS to work as input audio source atm though. But Reaper supports it so it should work. Maybe it's because I'm on a trial version. I'll buy Reaper.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure if Nuendo Live supports VST plugins but this might fit the bill: https://vidplayvst.com/ It gives you a separate window to view the video, and will stop, start and sync to the same location as your audio.

It seems like it does not. Couldn't find any options for it in the software, and no relevant google hits, not even mentioned on the "features" page of the software. It's basically more just record and play.

This is gold Jerry!

Downloaded and tried. This should work perfectly. I can't seem to get DVS to work as input audio source atm though. But Reaper supports it so it should work. Maybe it's because I'm on a trial version. I'll buy Reaper.

Glad it worked out!

As a side note-

ASSuming these are licensed productions from MTI, DPS, etc., You want to be EXTREMELY careful doing this type of thing. Every licensing agreement prohibits audio or video recording of the production, in any form. In some cases, there's an allowance for archival purposes. If any of these recordings somehow make it out into the wild, you're opening yourself up for legal entanglements.

As a side note-

ASSuming these are licensed productions from MTI, DPS, etc., You want to be EXTREMELY careful doing this type of thing. Every licensing agreement prohibits audio or video recording of the production, in any form. In some cases, there's an allowance for archival purposes. If any of these recordings somehow make it out into the wild, you're opening yourself up for legal entanglements.
Actors Equity also has strict rules about recording (basically, none at all without union scale payments to the actors).

For multitrack audio syncing with video the professional way is to record time code onto 1 track of the multitrack and the same time code onto 1 track of the video audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back