is this how we do it in theater

Even with the larger picture, it is difficult to tell if he is working at height. Obviously he is not tied in so should not be working at height.

Bonus points for my previous question. At what point can you use your front/chest D-ring?

The absorbica Y MGO manual says it is OK to attach to either sternal or dorsal point...

And by the way, in my part of the world it is quite common for climbers in the entertainment industry to free-climb up to the roof(or where they are going to work) before clipping in. To me though that partially of defeats the point of having a harness. Not my problem since I am not doing it and as always avoids standing under a climber working.

The sternal (front/chest) D-ring can be used for fall arrest in applications where climbing a ladder which excedes the 10'/platform ungaurded. In such an instance, there will be a line along the ladder for a rope grab to attach.
826734.jpg Also see this site for reference.

Due to the strain on your body in a fall situation, there is no other approved use of this safety point which I have been trained to use. SanTai, that used to be common practice many places I used to work fifteen years ago. Many of those places now have adopted installing retractable life lines as part of the rigging before it even goes up.

That is similar to what I have been thought.

I do not have extensive training in use of fall arrest equipment since I am not a high rigger, or something similar. But why does Petzl state that sternal point can be used for their fall arrest lanyard with MGO?

If you provide me with the specific model, I could look at it and better answer the question.

In picture 2, where the example is climbing scaffolding, this would be an acceptable use as long as those members are rated properly (based on my training here in the US). However, picture 4 illustrating clearance for a fall is an improper use here. First of all, your point of connection should be at the height of your D ring or above, not below. Second, the position you will be hanging should you fall is not the best for your health (better to be hanging from your back to prevent restricted airway and other issues). It is considered an acceptable risk when climbing due to the need of access to the fall arrest system, but once you are above, then this isn't ideal. I guess that if you are climbing steel (picture 2) and get to the top where there is no other system available, then you do not want to disconnect to put it on your dorsal D-ring. However, in many situations, you would be connecting to a separate system once you have finished ascending. You do not disconnect the front until you are securely clipped in on back.

See: http://www.asse.org/professionalsafety/pastissues/052/09/47_feldsteinz359_sept2007.pdf

The new ANSI code permits use of the sternal D-Ring for some fall protection situations.

You shouldn't be using a Fall Protection harness (or any of it's associated accoutrements) unless you have received training on how to use, attach, and maintain the equipment. In this case, a little bit of knowledge or (lack there-of) can get you, or someone else, severely injured or killed. Just like everything else in the theatre, there are 1000 ways to misuse the equipment and get yourself into more trouble than you planned for. Training, Training, Training. If your school or employer is going to spring for the cost of the harness(es), then they must realize that they must hire a qualified Fall Protection Trainer (yes, this is an actual certification). You wouldn't buy a car and expect someone to operate it with out training, that same is true for Fall Protection equipment and programs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back