Issue with DMX address limiting

Okay, so in a previous thread, i was having problems addressing an Elation Focus Spot 250R and getting it to work. However, the problem was fully resolved whenever I addressed the fixture to an address below the address 185.

But this revealed another problem, If i addressed the fixture to an address above it, it would cut off control of the last addresses of the fixture in proportion to the amount i moved it up. I found out that at address 196, there was no DMX being received in my torm, balcony, or electric positions.

I found out through trial and error that the Leviton/Colortran Viewpoint system was limiting the number of addresses being sent to the system. From straight from the board it worked, down the line right before the Viewpoint controller it worked, but afterwards, only 196 addresses came through. This forced me to soft patch the fixture into addresses already hard patched into dimmers. Since i'm not savvy enough to re-address dimmers (not that i would even do that if i did), i would just unplug the lights on the electrics etc. and run the Elation. Has anyone encountered this problem? I figure that Colortran isn't that popular, i might not get any help, but it's worth the try! Thank you so much! If you need more info, just ask!

I've never used a Viewpoint system, but it sounds like a limitation of the system. It may be a user definable limit (set somewhere in the system settings), or it may be a physical limit of the system. Are you sure it stopped at 196 and not 192? What kind of console to you have? What protocol are you using to communicate between the console and the rest of the system? I think that Viewpoint uses a proprietary communication protocol called VMX. This is probably built off of CMX, or Colortran Protocol, which I think is limited to 192 addresses. This protocol is the father of DMX. In fact, DMX is based so much on CMX that I think there is actually some interoperability between the two on occasion.

what xander is pointing at is correct In the high school space I used to be a large part of the old colortran systems didn't go to 512, they literally stopped somewhere in the 190's. This had to do with the conversion between DMX and the proprietary CMX system. Easiest way to solve this issue is put a splitter just before the rack.

Actually 192 sounds right. My bad.

I just recently got to brick the Colortran 96/48 that we had and got an Ion (great board). And from there it runs to the dimmer room to the Viewpoint, then to the dimmers. Maybe a splitter would fix it, like Mr. Jordan said? Just stick one right before the Viewpoint and take one to the viewpoint and one to the wiring in the theater?

In the way of splitters, how much $$ typically and how much space do they take up? Which one would be best for a school setting?

Sorry for the slew of questions... but thanks!

You can buy them for around 150 dollars, the cheap kinds that is. And usually pretty small. 1 or 2 rack spaces if you want to measure it like that

Thanks all! I have to pass the idea by my director/TD and see if buying one is a feasible option. Once again thanks! I appreciate the time you guys put into helping rooks like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back