Automated Fixtures Issues Regarding ETC Ion and Elation Platinum 5R Pro Spots

So about a year ago a teacher at our school decided to purchase 8 new intelligent fixtures. Sadly, he didn't exactly test them all out when they came in and waited until the next school year (6 months later) to try them out for his first show. However, some students and I decided to set up the movers before that and test them out, we ran into an issue with one where the lamp would simply turn on with the rest of the movers, but after about a minute tops of run time would flicker off. We decided not to bring this up because we weren't exactly supposed to be using the new toys. However, now we've had a look at it as well as some union stagehands and we've figured it wasn't the temp. controls, software lamp controls, or even any easily visible plugs. We're planning on taking it in within the next week or so to the lighting store, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone on the boards had any clue of what the issue is.

Another problem I've run into is that we've been having trouble figuring out how to get the gobo rotators on the movers to work at a determined speed. We can change the gobo, spin it and stop it at certain place with the encoder, have it spin continuously (quite rapidly though), but not get it to spin a slower rate. We're using the ETC Ion and it'd be great if you guys could help out.

Many Thanks,
Sam Stark

I'm working with several Design Spot 575E's at the moment. How are you lamping on? I'd recommend lamping on via DMX command from the console, and not on Power On as which seems to be the default. In ION world, that would involve changing Automatic Lamp On to off at the fixture and using the Lamp On command in the ABOUT display when they are selected on the ION. You can also create a Macro that will allow you to Lamp them on in a series. When you say it wasn't temperature controls, do you mean that the head temperature wasn't above the maximum lamp temperature before shut off? These seem to be two seperate things in Elation world. Make sure that maximum lamp temperature is set to 288, and that Fan Control is set to Auto or High. Auto Fan speed should be the default, if it is set to Low I've been having problems with the fixtures being able to stay on. Finally, I'd check to see what the time before entering Hibernation mode is. I've been having the issue that once they go into Hibernate I can't do ANYTHING from my ION to the fixture without cycling the power off and on.

Should these not be the issues, I would immediately call Elation as these fixtures comes with a two year warranty, or ETC and seeing what they recommend as they offer excellent customer support.

Last edited:
Good Morning Sam

Open or download the ION manual, not the supplement. I opened V1.7
Starting on pp113
The encoder wheels can have multiple attribute. You can access them by pressing the wheel
I don’t have the fixture manual open but most fixtures have a separate channel for ROTATE SPEED.

Last edited:
Regardless of the repair issue, I would address with the seller. The trouble is, you're a student, so you don't have any authority. A good seller will help whoever (and if you call them on the phone, how would they know you're a student?) to get this resolved. If they give you a hard time, remind them of how few hours there are on the fixture. I've had Elation and Chauvet products that I sent back direct to the mfg. and they were repaired no questions asked, for free.

Don't know the Ion so no help there.

Are all movers functioning the same when you try to rotate the gobos? If so it sounds like a personality issue. Also make sure your profile matches the mode that you're in on the light. Good luck. I have the non pro version and though they can be a pain sometime I'd really like to have the soom and CMY that are in the Pro version

Users who are viewing this thread

Back