Ivy Covered Walls

Chris Chapman

So I'm mounting a production of "Bleacher Bums" and the Downstage wall facing the audience of course has to be covered with Ivy. We're thinking of a multi-layered approach to this. The luan Hollywood flat that is the basis of the all is base coated in dark green. Then a layer of Camo-netting. And then a layer of synthic ivy and other foliage to fill it out. Does the camo-netting seem like overkill to add the thickness and bulk of the growth? Usually I'd consider this a "30-foot rule" item, but since it is down stage center, I'm a little more pre-occupied with this finish. Any thoughts?

I don't think it is overkill. What worked will for us was using a layer of one inch thick air conditioner filter material painted green with silk ivy on top. Gives it that nice thick depth and it makes the expensive ivy go further.

Ask a florist for leftover and/or damaged goods. Funeral homes might have some they can save from funerals. And if you look on ebay and/or other online sites, I'll bet you can order enough ivy cheaply thru wholesalers. You'd be surprised what the mark-up is on some products.

Camo-Netting is a great way to start. You might want to take a hudson sprayer to it first. Also, if you have some old manilla rope that can be used to add a bit of depth if it is painted well.

I did this show using the camo netting cover in vines method...

proxy.php

Ask a florist for leftover and/or damaged goods. Funeral homes might have some they can save from funerals. And if you look on ebay and/or other online sites, I'll bet you can order enough ivy cheaply thru wholesalers. You'd be surprised what the mark-up is on some products.

Sorry I cannot give away my company's sources. But I can tell you wholesale is the way to go. Buy by the case or gross as close to the original supplier as possible. Read the tags at the retailer and google the manufacturer and find if they will sell to you. Getting rid of the middle men who double the cost each time reduces the cost tremendously.

This is the final set with doubled camo netting, with artificial ivy weaved into the netting.

It read pretty well, and the audience actually commented a lot on the final effect.

Attachments

• IMG_6072.JPG
    IMG_6072.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 376

Users who are viewing this thread

Back