Joining elevated platforms together

Jman

Hello there everyone,
I'm brand new here but I have a question regarding a set that I'm working on currently.
We have 5 elevated platforms on wheels that we need to be able to join together towards the top when they are stationary. The platforms are on casters but get lifted about 1/4" off the ground by the wagon brakes we are using. We were originally thinking of using loose pin hinges, however we quickly realized that it would be rather difficult to join them together as the platforms have to get lifted when the brakes get put on.
If anyone has suggestions about how to go about this that would be very much appreciated. Also let me know if you need any clarification.

Hello there everyone,
I'm brand new here but I have a question regarding a set that I'm working on currently.
We have 5 elevated platforms on wheels that we need to be able to join together towards the top when they are stationary. The platforms are on casters but get lifted about 1/4" off the ground by the wagon brakes we are using. We were originally thinking of using loose pin hinges, however we quickly realized that it would be rather difficult to join them together as the platforms have to get lifted when the brakes get put on.
If anyone has suggestions about how to go about this that would be very much appreciated. Also let me know if you need any clarification.
First of all, welcome aboard. Secondly a few thoughts off the top of my head for you while we await the arrival of some of our more knowledgeable posters.
Have you considered grinding / filing your loose pin hinges for a sloppier / more forgiving / easier to mate fit?
At greater expense, you may consider 'coffin locks' / roto-locks NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH Rota-locks used to join lengths of pipe.
Edit: Caught, and corrected, a spelling error. (There may be others.)
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Hello there everyone,
A fast way to connect two decks (IE 4x8 on wheels) is to take 3/8 steel rod (or rebar) and bend it in a square "u" shape that is 3 1/4 inch between posts or what ever the distance to get past your 2x framing . Drill a hole in each deck so you can drop this down holding each side of your 2x framing. Put one on each corner. This is fast, flexible and strong.

As always think this through for your application keeping safety #1

I second, or third, fourth? Anyway Yes a roto-lock style fastener is the way to go. They are easily installed after a platform is built. As long as you have a router and a drill.

Quick and dirty - nylon straps with ratchets - well - not quick like a scene change in the dark but quick to get locally. Not many places where that can be said for coffin locks.

Quick and dirty - nylon straps with ratchets - well - not quick like a scene change in the dark but quick to get locally. Not many places where that can be said for coffin locks.
mcmaster carr can easily get you something next business day. Quick just depends on the company and/or how much you're willing to pay for something. Not local, but almost as fast.

Thank you all for your input! We're gonna play around with things and see what we can get to work. Thanks again, this was a huge help!

Not sure where you are in the process, but last year I used this method to hinge my wheels so that I could drop three platforms and a stair case after rolling them on. This might not work with taller platforms, but everything stayed together very well for me. The weight of the platforms and them being right next to each other was enough to keep them in place.

Here are some Old School methods that still work for manual caster lifts.View attachment 4067View attachment 4068View attachment 4069

See if any of these will help you. Note, as it says on the sketches, always build the unit so the hinge does not support the load. If it does, the screws will soon work loose and pull out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back