Just Got Touchscreen for MagicQ - Keep It?

bishopthomas

I just bought an HP Touchsmart 310 for use with MagicQ and am trying to decide if I like it or now. The main reason I bought it was because I thought that I'd be able to control two faders at once. Of course I realize now that there is only one pointer available at a time so only one fader. Doing a search for multiple pointers only returns results for drivers for mice and not touch compatible pointers.

For those of you running touchscreen monitors/computers with MagicQ, has it made a significant improvement to programming/running shows? I have other physical consoles; this is supposed to be a cheap and compact system that I can take to small gigs (DJ, LED trees, etc). If I have to buy a playback wing plus the computer (I already have several laptops dedicated to MagicQ systems) it's negating the reasons I'm using MagicQ and I might as well be bringing my Pearl to these gigs. What say you?

How much do you want for it? :grin:

Unfortunately, there's no substitute for real handles that you can grab. The closest thing is an iPad, but even then it's a flat 'n featureless surface that you have to keep your eye on while operating lest you push the wrong button. I still like using a touchscreen with a lighting desk (in general, no specific brand), but only for quickly selecting channels, not controlling anything live. I've never used MagicQ lots (OK, once), but I'd assume it would be similar.

Well, I returned it (bought it today from BestBuy). I decided that I was trying too hard to create a console I already had, rather than just leaving MagicQ what it is (to me): a very compact and cheap lighting controller. For the low budget rig I'll show up with my laptop. Anything more than that and I'll bring a console.

There is only a handful of touch screens that allow multi-point touch interfaces - I am not sure those would be supported my MagicQ, AND they are usually in the 400 to 500 range. I've been scrouing ebay for them, but they all seem to be outside of my price point.

I've not had a chance to test it, but HP makes a mulit-touch screen.

While it may be possible to somehow trick it into functioning in this capacity, MagicQ does not officially support multi-touch displays.

So after reading this thread am I right to believe this is a dead issue? There is no way of using multi-touch with a PC display? This sends you on to needing a wing or console with Chamsys correct?

Was just about to start shopping when I found this. :)

Well I ended up buying two Planar 22" multitouch displays. While the software doesn't support multi-touch gestures, I still find it a lot easier to use the palettes by touch. But like everyone said, it's not substitute for physical control. I'm ordering a PC wing to be coupled with the two monitors.

If I were to do it over again, I'd just one multi-touch display and then order another non-touch display for output/cue values...stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back