Keep it or sell it?

AlexDavila

My university recently absorbed the assets of a small recital hall that closed nearby. From those, our theatre department received a couple Shure UR4D dual channel receivers, four UR2 handhelds with KSM9 caps and two UR1 bodypacks. As fantastic as the set it, we use Sennheiser EW equipment almost exclusively (in conjunction with Countryman B3 mics) and we have no need for additional handhelds in our stock. I'm torn in deciding whether or not to sell the set off and buy more Sennheiser equipment, or just sell off the handhelds and buy a couple UR1 bodypacks. I understand the UHF-R system is better than the Sennheiser, but is it worth keeping around a system that requires us to buy additional mics that aren't compatible with our previous stock? Additionally, does anyone know of a reputable company that buys pre-owned wireless?
Thoughts?

Thanks, A

Depending on what frequency band the wireless is in, I'd say keep it. There are more people who will buy used UHF-R gear than won't and those KSM9 capsules will sell well. Making a TRS to TA4F adaptor isn't too hard and it would allow you to buy one type of mic connector, but utilize both types of transmitters.

Depends on what you do at your theatre. Do you need a pair of really high quality wireless? I use Sennheisers myself (as a sound company) but if I needed something better than the 300 series I would go with the Shure UR's. For me it would be about rider compatibility and being able to cross rent. But you may not have these needs. If you ever need to fill a rider that calls for a wireless handheld the UR wireless with KSM9 capsule will probably be what's asked for and will almost definitely be acceptable. On the other hand, if you need 6-8 more Sennheiser wireless you could probably get that amount of money out of your system. Heck, PM me if you want to talk about trading. All this talk of UR's makes me want to get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back