knife for 12 angry jurors?

NHStech

One of the most dramatic scenes in "jurors" is where juror number ____ puts the knife he bought in the table (nevermind how it got through security :) ). Any ideas for this scene? A fake knife, as I understand, collapses, and a real switchblade is not an option. How has anyone handled this? Thanks.

Can you just inset a little square of foam in the table for any prop knife to stick into?

I haven't done the show, but what I would do would be to use a real knife with the edge blunted. I would place a block of clay, or maybe styrofoam blocks like florists use (wiki term: oasis) in the table for the juror to stab into. It would get the sound you need when the blade actually hits the wood under the clay/foam and be supported in place by the clay/foam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Techieman's ideas.

As for how to safely dull the knife. Go to your local thrift store and find the knife you like then put it on a grinder until that sucker is 100% dull. Just put the blade perfectly perpendicular to the grinding wheel. Once the edge is COMPLETELY gone and you have a square blade, briefly pass the blade of the wheel on an angle, just enough to round the edge and make them smooth. Run your fingers all up and down it. If you can't press it flat into your hand with a decent amount of pressure with complete confidence it's not done. Make sure there are no little burrs sticking out at weird angles. Be sure to round the tip off, the audience will never be able to see that it isn't pointy on the end.

If you don't have a grinding wheel available, go to someone that does knife sharpening and ask them to dull it for you. Explain that you want it ground to be completely safe to the touch.

There were no metal detectors (that would be suitable for a courthouse) in the 1950's, and security was much more lax back then. And as I have to occasionally remind myself, it's not a documentary, it's a drama.

As to your original question, I don't know anything about props, sorry.

....... the knife he bought in the table (nevermind how it got through security :) ). ......

There was no such thing as "Security" at the time which the story takes place. No such things as metal detectors. Then, the only way to search was a full body pat-down and you know what kind of reaction there is to that, even today with the threat of shoe bombs and hi-jacking and .....! As an example, I have in my collection a .32 revolver that I was given by my father, an attorney. He got it from a client during a murder case in 1957. He normally did not do criminal law but was the court appointed lawyer in this case. They were in court and the prosecution was petitioning for a search warrant for the client's home. Dad quietly asked her if there was any problem with that and her response absolutely floored him. She said "I'm not worried, I have the gun here in my purse. They can search my place all they want and they'll never find it!". Dad took her out in the hallway, took the loaded gun and extra ammo and put it in his brief case and they went back in the courtroom..... still with the loaded gun and ammo. Nope. No security back then.

She was later acquitted on a ruling of self defense, but dad kept the revolver and years later he gave it to me. It has been used many times in shows since then, but with a few modifications. I have a second barrel with a reduced bore that will not allow a round to pass through, but will allow a flame front to propagate out the front of the barrel rather than the top or sides like many blank or wad cutting pistols. This can be a requirement in film, video and some low light stage applications. The second modification is a second cylinder with a shortened cartridge chamber. It has a full diameter bore only deep enough to allow a blank cartridge/shell case to be inserted. Any cartridge with a bullet can not be inserted far enough to allow the cylinder to be closed. Of course in any production where the weapon is only a visual, the firing pin is removed. I do my own blank loading so I can control the material and amount of wadding as well as the strength/amount of the powder load.

Of course this is exercise in debate and has nothing to do with the OP's Q or the show itself. HOW the knife got there is immaterial to the to the show or the question. The type of knife is also immaterial and is up to the director and/or designer. The real issue and solution is what others have already said. Blunt and dull the implement. Conceal a "soft" area in the table, florist's foam and clay are two of the best but blue or pink foam will work, even white bead foam will work. The "Point" of the issue is the "Point" of a knife, even a very sharp one is actually rather difficult to "stab" hard enough into a hardwood table to make it stick and stay, reliably, every time. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back