Lamp Sources

DOes anyone know if there is a good primer on Lamp Types (ie : Discharge, Halogen, Vapor, etc..etc...), how they work, their pros and cons and if possible, pictures next to each type ?? I assume there must be some written material (aside form buying a paperback book) to print out to give quick reference of all the types?

Thanks!!
Jeff

Not that many etc.'s out there. Either it has a filament, is some type of discharge/arc, or solid state like an LED. The biggest variation is in the "discharge" category, which runs all the way from the evil low pressure CFL all the way up to the high pressure xenon arc lamps. A good night of Googling should give you the resources, and probably the best understanding of how things evolved.

Osram Sylvania has a well recognized professional set of free PDF books on-line at their website. Go to the website and type in first under general lamp search description "BTH" and it should pull up the lamp. Scroll down and you will get the "doccuments" section. Click on that and you will get a "low voltage...." thing to pull up. Read and learn from this end user level guide, and you are educated in filament lamps now to an expert level. A few people on this forum have read this and can attest to it in being easy to read, yet what it tells you is expert level in learning.

They have similar catalogues for their XBO and HTI lamps - pick a lamp and scroll down to "doccuments". Amongst those doccuments you will not only find simmilar guides but also other info that's useful to read and study.

GE has a lamp learning education section otherwise but I don't think it as good.

Pictures next to each type... sort of, more about the classifications of lamps say a low voltage capsule lamp as it differs from a reflector lamp, or a line voltage lamp as otherwise installed as a capsule inside a PAR lamp - or not. There is nothing simple about education, much less such a list would be too huge to read. I have such a list of lamps in comparison to each other - has to get constantly changed and upgraded as lamps change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back